Author Topic: What is the best emulator to map out arcade games?  (Read 12015 times)

Offline snesmaster

What is the best emulator to map out arcade games?
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:58:48 am »
Hi, I was just wondering what the best emulator out there was to map out Arcade games.  Are there any that can turn on and off sprites of different background layers?

Offline Will

Re: What is the best emulator to map out arcade games?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:10:07 pm »
MAME32 Plus! 0.111 seems to work okay. Simply press F4 when you're in the scene/level/place you want to map, then press Enter once to get the sprites and twice so you get the TMAP screen. Then you toggle through the sprite pieces/backgrounds with the square bracket keys. In some screens it takes a bit of searching the the larger resolutions. Sadly sprites are required to be pieced together, which I find far more complicated than simply taking every screenshot with F12, but you can get direct rips of fonts in the spritesheet. This technique does not work for every game such as Data East's and SNK's arcade games. The mapping is more in the roms than the emulators. Mind you I haven't tried any other arcade emulator.

Offline Sionuirt

Re: What is the best emulator to map out arcade games?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:06:59 pm »
MAME32 Plus! 0.111 seems to work okay. Simply press F4 when you're in the scene/level/place you want to map, then press Enter once to get the sprites and twice so you get the TMAP screen. buy phen375 http://ohdivinehealth.com/phen375-reviews/ Then you toggle through the sprite pieces/backgrounds with the square bracket keys. In some screens it takes a bit of searching the the larger resolutions. Sadly sprites are required to be pieced together, which I find far more complicated than simply taking every screenshot with F12, but you can get direct rips of fonts in the spritesheet. This technique does not work for every game such as Data East's and SNK's arcade games. The mapping is more in the roms than the emulators. Mind you I haven't tried any other arcade emulator.

that game sounds really cool! emulator games really rocks and i will definitely play that one. plus the techniques that you've shared, that will definitely very exciting to play. thanks for that!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:42:13 pm by Sionuirt »