Author Topic: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)  (Read 36509 times)

Offline Revned

RE: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 09:17:49 pm »
And now, the sunken city:

User posted image

This was more annoying than the previous stages. The second half has the rising water, so I had to use the level editor and change the palette afterwards, then add in all the candles. Also, I found that in the level editor it shows another row of tiles on the top that aren't visible in the game. These extra tiles fix the alignment in lots of places in the maps, so I'm going to be adding them in. The only things I think it will break are some of the staircases in the vertically scrolling sections, but they are few and far between.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 09:29:48 pm »
Wow, that honestly looks like the best looking CV3 level yet. Knowing you, I'll assume that those cracked brick tiles actually look that way by default :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 09:39:33 pm »
No, they don't. That's the first frame of the cracking animation. I thought that was the best way to show them.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 09:43:28 pm »
Oh right, to signify that those tiles will crumble when you walk over them. Sorry, it's been a long work day and my brain is not exactly processing things efficiently anymore.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 09:45:48 pm »
No problem, we all have days like that. I don't know if I like this stage better than the swamps, but it does look the most realistic of the ones I've done this far.

Offline Revned

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 12:44:14 am »
Wow, it's been longer than I thought since I mapped anything for this game. I had a good, long mapping session last night and churned out the haunted ship level. I really like this one. The whole stage actually takes the shape of a ship:

User posted image

Surprise! I also threw this together last week. It's the first stage from Kid Dracula, which is basically a super-short version of Dracula's Castle. Jon, consider this a formal submission. I know you'll read this, so there's no point in me emailing it too.

User posted image

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 01:03:23 am »
The first stage of Kid Dracula already has the hallway, clock tower, and stairs?  o_0  What's in the rest of the game, then?

Offline Revned

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 01:41:12 am »
Original stages. This is the only one that's completely taken from Castlevania.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 03:31:12 pm »
By the way, I love that pirate ship map. You know how I feel about maps like this one; it's always a pleasure to see the overall layout of a map conform to the outside of the building/vehicle/world being mapped.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline mephea

Offline Revned

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 07:46:12 pm »
Hmm, I was just messing with the levels, and it looks like I could manage to fit them all into one massive image without losing any continuity. It's not practical, though, as at least 85% of the image would end up being blank space. I think I'll just put the whole castle in one image and leave the other levels separate.

I'm not going to post any more previews since I only have 5 levels left. I hope to be done by next weekend.

Offline Revned

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 03:09:38 pm »
Once again, there are alignment problems on the final staircase. The one on the left is what it looks like in-game, and the one on the right is a fixed version.

User posted image

I've already decided to use my modified version, I just thought some of you might like to see it. I have two stages left to map, then I need to go back and fill in all the missing tiles in the first maps I made and the last few I've put together. Then I'll put some headers in, then send them off to Jon :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 03:15:54 pm »
Definitely better modified, especially since it's obvious that the top and bottom parts of those dark towers are supposed to go together.

Needless to say, I'm eager to see the whole thing finished :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 03:20:03 pm »
I'm getting close. I just have to fill in the extra row of tiles in 4 or 5 levels, then I need to work out all the headers. I had a good idea for the headers, but it turns out that it would take up way too much space. Hopefully I find a good solution, I'm not very good at this kind of thing.

Offline Revned

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 04:53:43 pm »
Done.