Author Topic: 2015/11: King Colossus (J) (Genesis) - vorpal86  (Read 10250 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2015/11: King Colossus (J) (Genesis) - vorpal86
« on: October 31, 2015, 09:44:12 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to vorpal86's Tougi-Ou: King Colossus (J) (Genesis) maps.

A Japanese fantasy epic that's not on the Super NES but rather on the Sega Genesis?  Guess sometimes the Genesis does what Nintendoes too!  Tougi-Ou: King Colossus (J) was only released in Japan, a shame since the Genesis is not really known for its RPGs.  Technically this is an action RPG.  While the layouts of the castles (i.e. lots of rooms) will undoubtedly bring The Legend Of Zelda to mind, there are some light RPG elements (i.e. numbers) that might make it more like the Mana/Seiken Densetsu series, if one were to compare.  This isn't the first fantasy game on the Genesis to be honoured in 2015, nor is it the first Japanese-only game this year, and it's not vorpal86's first recognition this year either, but why not?

You start as a mere fighter training under an old man named Muuk at his cabin, to heroically taking down the big baddies in the huge Danaal Castle.  As expected, this quest will take you through a number of dungeonesque areas.  Though unlike other games in this genre, there aren't really towns where you can rest up or gather information.  You'll be mashing your attack button for most of this game.  Some of the later castles get pretty big and so vorpal86's maps will surely be of use.  You'll want to avoid the treasure chests that are Man Eater Chests, so even if labelling treasure chests are an expected thing in maps like these, they are particularly helpful here if you don't want a nasty surprise.

So to recognize the effort put into mapping another Genesis epic, vorpal86's Tougi-Ou: King Colossus (J) (Genesis) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for November 2015.