Author Topic: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (April Fools' 2008 Project) - Brainstorming Topic  (Read 252344 times)

Offline RT 55J

I've started Level 1, but so far I haven't done anything worth showing. I'm using the tileset of the upper floor of the Sword and Shield dungeon in Seasons.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline Grizzly

Hm, I would want to do the second dungeon (Flower Gardens), but I am not familiar with Deku Babas and Deku Scrubs as well as when/where it is possible to manipulate the time. I only remember that in Seasons you had to jump on a stump to change seasons, but I forgot how that was in Ages and I couldn't find how it will be in this game in  your posts. Overall I cannot remember quite well the GBC Zelda games because it has been some years since I've played them. I will view the Speedruns for DX and OoS soon to get some memories back, but there isn't one for OoA at speeddemosarchive.

Addition: I won't be able to do that much in the next two/three weeks because of university, although I will try to do some planning on paper. I will scan sketches as soon as I've got them in case there are additional ideas and those things from you.

Offline marioman

^Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

OOA Speedrun on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F268B820D1642909

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Grizzly said:
Hm, I would want to do the second dungeon (Flower Gardens), but I am not familiar with Deku Babas and Deku Scrubs as well as when/where it is possible to manipulate the time.

The Deku enemies you needn't worry too much about, since we're not going to put enemies down.  However, you can put a bush, hole, or big pink flower on the ground/floor where Deku Scrubs might pop out of, if you wanted.

Offline marioman

Here's another OoA speedrun.  This person is in the process of doing a more complete one.  It is posted in multiple segments:

Segment 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j__nwQBSQKI

Segment 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsWCc8WQubs

Segment 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt08d_qXQjg

Segment 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrZKzMeLfE

There may be more to come soon.  (Hopefully...)

Offline Grizzly

Thank you very much for the links. This will definitely help. And I remember those enemies which jump out of the ground - although I think I only know them from Ocarina Of Time, but I could be wrong there. I will see, when I watched the speedruns :)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I think we will have a daytime/nighttime switching item that can be used outside.  Something will allow you to enter a dungeon either during the day or during the night.  I'm thinking it shouldn't be used inside.  I don't remember Ages and Seasons allowing that switch inside.

I now think we don't want two versions of most dungeons for simplicity's sake.  Though I wanted the Hourglass-based dungeon to be able to flip-flop between day and night, the floors would be the same.  And the beach one's tide level puzzles, well, that might be doable too.  Just make a part where you can step out of the dungeon (an entrance/exit that can't be reached from outside) just to change the time of day, but essentially I don't want to double our workload which is big enough as it is.

Offline marioman

We probably would not want to switch inside a dungeon - too complicated.  I imagine that the day/night switcher would work kind of like the harp on OoA.  Also, I like the idea of leaving a level, switching the time of day, and coming back.  Just some miscellaneous thoughts.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I updated the third floor of my Clock Tower above.

It's the end of January.  I'd like to see what you guys have so far.

Offline marioman

I got the 100th post!

The Clock Tower is shaping up very well.  I too would like to see what progress has been made.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
EDIT: The project is continuing, but will not be released until April 2008.

EDIT: The project is The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours, our imagining of what the third Oracle GBC game would be had it been completed and released.  If you are new here, you may want see here.

Two months to go.  Looking at the permissions list, this is who I see has access to this topic and how they are involved:

bustin98 - sprites/possible artwork?

Captain Drake - 3rd dungeon & a minor dungeon

Grizzly - 2nd dungeon

JonLeung - 4th dungeon, 5th dungeon & ideas

marioman - ideas

RT 55J - 1st dungeon & ideas

TerraEsperZ - overworld

JJMaxx - ?

KingKuros - ?

mephea - ?

DarkWolf - out

Revned - officially dropped out, but may still provide suggestions

Zeric - out

That's a lot more than I'm sure regularly come here in this topic.  Yeesh, that's almost everyone semi-regular here on the forum.  I'll be sending out some PMs soon.  Please confirm/reconfirm your level of involvement in this very topic so I can plan around things to be sure it gets done in comfortable time.

I work on this every day now (see my Clock Tower just a few posts up) but each dungeon that one more person picks up will be a great relief to me.  I will probably call dibs on the hourglass area (the 4th dungeon) as I see myself likely doing at least two anyway.

By the way, here's some rocking Zelda dungeon music that helps me get in the mood for creating dungeons.  :)

Offline Grizzly

yes, I still want to do the second dungeon. I just hope I won't get time problems because I cannot start right now, at least not that much. It will get much better to the end of February.

Offline Captain Drake

I think I could do the Cave of Heroes. Give me like a week to finish up Super Adventure Island II first though, there's still 2 months left anyway.

Offline marioman

I see the new announcement at the top of the page.  So we are going with Oracle of Hours?  Just wondering.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
marioman Said:
I see the new announcement at the top of the page.  So we are going with Oracle of Hours?  Just wondering.
It wasn't a declaration of the final title itself, more like explaining what was chosen for the newbies in this topic.

Personally, I'd still really like to go with that title, but it's not my concern right now.  If you want we can have a vote on other possible titles, later.

My primary concern is knowing for real who's on board, and hoping to see some progress from those that are.  I still feel like I'm the only guy here.

I work on this every day, and that may be something you guys might want to try to break up a daunting task into something much more manageable.

With two months to go, each person that does an average of one room a day can get nearly two dungeons done before April Fool's Day.  We only need eight major dungeons, but I would like some breathing room as I don't want to be assembling everything the night before.

Captain Drake, thank you for doing a minor dungeon.  Would doing a major dungeon be something you might be able to do as well or instead?