Author Topic: Game Gear Sonics - 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble - ripped from the ROM  (Read 9593 times)

Offline Maxim

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=10063

http://soniccenter.org/rolken/stt/

Maps ripped from the ROM using a PHP script. So clever it hurts.

Someone should ask the guy for permission to host the maps here. Missing enemies, though...

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Game Gear Sonics - 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble - ripped from the ROM
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:31:50 pm »
I can't help but be amazed every time someone manages to rip maps through programming alone. All that stuff about tiles, bit masks, address blocks, map compression makes my head spin :o

I just find it a bit disappointing when the ripper stops after that instead of polishing the map by adding the more important sprites to get a better-looking finished product. You just can't get everything through coding alone most of the time.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 02:45:31 pm »
It looks like he's still working on it. There are ID numbers on the maps where the enemy sprites go, for example.

The technical details are a bit heavy, but so long as you can learn a bit of assembly code (and Z80 is pretty basic) unravelling the compression can be pretty easy, just time-consuming. I find it more fun just to map the "old-fashioned" way a lot of the time, although being able to hack can help a lot.

Offline marioman

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:46:37 pm »
Awesome.  Thanks for the link Maxim.