Author Topic: find the game of the map in the big band theory  (Read 8839 times)

Offline jatar

find the game of the map in the big band theory
« on: July 04, 2021, 01:21:24 pm »
Hello,

I saw a video game map on a restaurant wall in episode 10 of season 4 of The Big Bang Theory and I would like to know which game the map is from?

thank you
Jatar T

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: find the game of the map in the big band theory
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 08:33:35 pm »
Interesting question!  I did solve it, but here was my process...

I cropped out your close-up insert and uploaded it to tineye.com.  That is my go-to reverse image search, but this time it didn't come up with anything.  Then I tried duplichecker.com which links to six reverse image search sites.  The two on the right, which are yandex.com and graph.baidu.com, both seem to think it's a video game map, with the latter pulling up many images of Super Mario Bros., Milon's Secret Castle, and other games with bricks and sky.

I looked again and I doubted that it's a game map.  The colored rectangles didn't look like game tiles.  For a second I thought they were flags.  But flags don't really look more vertical than horizontal.  Banners maybe?  Then I thought they might have been coats of arms, like European families have.  I Googled "maps with coats of arms" and this came up:

So it turns out, it's a map of Ireland.  The Heraldic Scroll & Map of Family Names & Origins of Ireland, to be precise.  If you like it, you can buy a puzzle version of it.

Well, that was a fun search.  Good to have solved it, I hate it when mysteries don't get solved...

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 01:39:00 pm »
Nice one Jon.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 12:03:57 pm »
This reminds me of a cross stitch picture that hung on the wall of my grandmother's apartment. It looked so much like a videogame to me - but it wasn't one, just a coincidence because of the pixelation and theme.