Author Topic: Dragon Warrior VII  (Read 17188 times)

Offline Thraxian

Dragon Warrior VII
« on: April 25, 2006, 02:50:29 pm »
Is Dragon Warrior VII any good?  

I picked this game up a few months back for the playstation, but have yet to try it.  It only set me back about $10 at my local Gamestop, and being a fan of the original four Dragon Warriors, I thought it a wise investment.

I unplugged the playstation (first-generation, not even a PSOne) many years ago.  Being impatient as I was, I hated the load times on the playstation, and the sluggishness of games when not played on an emulator running at full (800%+) speed.

I really enjoyed the first four in the Dragon Warrior series (on the 8-bit NES), and have toyed with the 5th and 6th ones on my SNES emulator (since those games were never release in North America).  

I hate the pokemon-style games with a vengeance.  I'm not even going to go into Pokemon 0.5, aka Dragon Quest Monsters.  Calling it a true Dragon Quest/Warrior game is as unforgivable as saying Zelda II is a real Zelda game.

But I digress...is the 7th game in the series worth dusting off the playstation for?  I've been contemplating plugging in the old system again.  With a newborn, I usually only have one hand free for gaming, and I just happen to have a one-handed controller for the playstation...

Offline Inty

RE: Dragon Warrior VII
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:52:33 pm »
Moved to `Gaming`.

---

Your browser doesn't support object.
<b>I need £5 paypal to pay subs ._.</b>

Offline Inty

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:54:18 pm »
There's one-handed PSX controllers? o_O

Oh, and i heard DW7 is awesome. Any new game is worth undusting a console for.

Speaking of which, i have Jade Empire which i still haven't played yet...

---

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:01:26 pm »
1. It's not really a new game. DW7 was released in North America in 2001.  I just don't buy games on the new release shelf.  I have enough to keep me busy, that instead of $50 now, I can wait a few months (or years) and get it for $10-15, and enjoy it just as much.

2. Sure!  Check out this link:

http://www.tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/one_handed_games_contollers.html

The controller pictured on top is what I have.  The first image is the reverse, where two trigger buttons (X and O) are easily reached by the index finger.  The Square and Triangle buttons are the pink and green ones, and the buttons on bottom are the L1, L2, R1, and R2.  Select and Start are on top, if memory serves.

It's a wonderful device.  Since most RPGs use only the X and O (OK, Cancel), the controller is perfect for non-realtime gaming.  During the odd times you need to access other commands/menus, the thumb comes off the D-pad and hits the appropriate button on top.  

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 03:03:52 pm »
Better image:

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/asciigrip.htm

Also found out that it's called the ASCII Grip.  Only costs $20, if they still carry it.

http://www.agetec.com/products.asp?MyView=Hardware&ProductID=25&ProductName=ASCII+Grip+-+One-Handed+Controller

Offline Inty

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:05:16 pm »
I meant new as in haven't had it long. If you get a computer with a Duron in it for Christmas. You still call it your new computer.

And that controller looks awesome. Except i'd have a pizza in my other hand, not a baby. The downside is i can only see it being useful for Japanese turn-based RPGs.

---

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:11:48 pm »
No.  If I get a computer with a Duron in it for Christmas, I call it a "store credit".  

Mmmm....pizza....

Like the website says, it's best for RPGs, simulation, sports (yeah right), and strategy.  Some puzzle games could even work, especially those that use a single button for flipping or firing the puzzle pieces.

I wouldn't recommend trying Mortal Kombat with this controller.  But when you have turn-based stuff happening, it's very comfortable and convenient.

Offline Dan

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 04:48:40 pm »
Is Dragon Warrior VII good?  

Short answer:  Yes!!!!

Long answer: It's one of those games that you get out of what you put in.  My file had over 100 hours logged on it (all of which was gameplay, none of that "leaving it on overnight" garbage) before I finally finished off the final bonus dungeon (I used three forms of the root word 'fin' in that sentence 0_o).  The main storyline will take you around 50 to 60 hours to beat the first time.  

The game starts off pretty slowly (I think it's around an hour or so in before you even fight your first battle) but picks up pretty quickly from there.  There is little to no character development - the main persona is supposed to be you.  The focus is on gameplay and story telling, the way RPGs are supposed to be, IMO.  The graphics leave much to be desired for a late-era PSX game, and the 3 FMVs suck hard, but that's not the point of the game.  

Anyway, if you have the time to dedicate to this gem, play it.  Plain and simple.  :D

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 07:37:05 am »
An hour before the first fight?!  What's going on during that whole time?

I was also a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series.  When NES put out the first one, I was hooked.  Then when the two came out on SNES, I picked those up and enjoyed them just about as much.  VII on the PC/PSX wasn't too bad either.  But once I got to VIII, I gave it up.  Too many movies and not enough gameplay.  If I want to watch a movie, I'll rent one.  If I want to play a game, I shouldn't have to sit through movie after movie developing a storyline I either a) care nothing about, b) have seen a dozen times before and just want to get on with the game already.

If DW7 is very movie-intensive, I may end up passing on it.  For some reason, I love RPGs, but cannot stand anime, where it seems most RPG games are derived from (or spun off to).  I'm one of the few, I'm sure.

Offline Dan

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 08:24:21 am »
Don't worry about it being too movie intensive - It's only got 3 movies in the entire 60 hours of gameplay!  Much of the first hour is going through dungeon that's puzzle based, and a lot of wandering around the two towns trying to find out what to do.  Like I said, it starts off slowly but picks up pretty quickly after that, IMO.

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 10:56:17 am »
I've been spoiled.  Emulation at 500% is the only way to play RPGs.  

Don't get me wrong.  Dragon Warrior VII is truly amazing.  So far, I am enjoying the game very much, and I have only beaten the first monster-filled cave.  

My only complaint is that battles are so SLOW.  That, and the lack of turbo on my one-handed controller means that I actually have to pay attention in battles, and not just wail on the enemies mercilessly.

Thanks for the review Dan.  I am finding the game to be enjoyable.  But I fear that my enjoyment will suffer because of the lengthy delays in battle sequences.