Author Topic: Video Game Maps: NES & Famicom - an atlas book by Brian Riggsbee  (Read 9535 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator

This is a book I just heard about today, and of course, was an instant purchase.

It's a book about 8-bit Nintendo video game maps - as the title, "Video Game Maps: NES & Famicom", makes perfectly clear.

You can read the full description and find more images on the shop page, but in short, it's 346 pages of maps from 250+ NES and Famicom games.  They are maps from various sources, including magazines, posters, manuals, and in-game maps, as well as fan-created maps.  I recognized Bill Mudron's work in a tweet about this.

I would think people here would be interested in this.  No, I didn't know this book was a thing until this evening, so obviously it's not affiliated with VGMaps.com.  But go and buy it!

Rey (of VGMuseum.com) has suggested to me a few times that I make a book.  Well, clearly, I'd have to step up my game to make something better than this!  But I guess whether a book of screenshot maps would be competition really depends on the balance between hand-drawn maps and in-game maps in this Video Game Maps: NES & Famcom book.  I'm hoping there are lots of hand-drawn maps in here...

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Video Game Maps: NES & Famicom - an atlas book by Brian Riggsbee
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 08:21:23 pm »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 11:02:19 am »
I'm behind on my video game book reviews for my YouTube channel, but I will pretty much HAVE to review this one as soon as I can.

It sounds like it's done, and there's already a foreword and some articles in this, but I made a mention I'd be available if he needed someone to write a preface or at least some kind of article for another book, if "Video Game Maps" becomes a series and covers more than just the NES & Famicom...  I'd like to think running this site for twenty years (very soon!) counts for something...  :P  We'll see... if there are more books...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:19:19 am by JonLeung »

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 08:22:20 am »
I got a copy of this one as well. It's a fun flip, the majority of the maps are "official" maps from manuals, old magazines or strategy guides, although there are a few fanmade maps for mostly prominent games (Zelda, Castlevania, etc) that are generally good. I've seen the Solstice one here actually. So it functions also as a kind of time capsule for an era where RPGs came with foldout maps and the like. Some of the artwork rendering older games in interesting ways for magazines is quite impressive. Only con is that I wish it was bigger - lots of detail is sacrificed as a tradeoff for a ton of content and a small form factor. Overall a solid book for sure, and a lot of fun obscure (i.e. Japanese-only title) maps to enjoy.

All that is to say, a screenshot map would not tread on this one too much because the only screenshot maps are in the form of scans of Nintendo Power Mario 3 and the like.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 05:20:34 pm »
I got my copy today!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:11:30 pm »
Looks like I might have to buy this as well!

(my poor wallet...)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 08:16:26 am »
Well, your wallet might have a break in this case... unless you can find it elsewhere, it's sold out at the original link...

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 02:57:00 am »
Does this book have and electronic version (pdf)?

Offline novalin

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 04:17:35 pm »
Hi folks. I'm the author/creator of the book.

A few things:
  • A second print run is happening right now. I'm actually about to lock down the pre-order for this run, so if you want a physical copy, this is your chance. I might not stock it after that. I sell them at RetroGameBooks.com
  • I might put out a digital version a little later this year. That's a common request, so why not.
  • I have a few new secret projects in the works, including a variant of this book (I'll just say that much for now)...stay tuned. You can keep an eye for news on this forum, on my Twitter (I'm briggsbee), or join my mailing list at RetroGameBooks.com (I barely send emails, don't worry)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 02:13:14 pm »

Since Brian Riggsbee mentioned it on Twitter today, it's official... Here's the "Greatest Hits Edition"!  And you can pre-order it right now!  Though it focuses on the greatest hits, it has some additions - including a new article written by yours truly!  (I'm always excited to be published, especially in a physical book!)

You can get it from retrogamebooks.com - scroll down for the "Greatest Hits Edition".

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 08:45:16 pm »

Less than 24 hours after receiving the copy of Edge magazine's November 2022 issue where VGMaps.com is mentioned, I get my copy of "Video Game Maps: NES & Famicom", specifically the "Greatest Hits Edition".  This one has an article written by me!  Pick this up if you want to read the whole thing!  (My Maniac Mansion map appears in here too.)