Author Topic: 2022/11: God Of War (PS2) - VGCartography  (Read 9199 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2022/11: God Of War (PS2) - VGCartography
« on: October 31, 2022, 09:35:21 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to VGCartography's God Of War (PlayStation 2) maps.

Kratos, a Spartan warrior who serves the Greek gods of Olympus, seeks to destroy his former master, Ares, the God of War.  Guided by Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom, Kratos learns of Pandora's Box, an artifact that grants the power to slay a god.  His quest to find it takes him to the Desert of Lost Souls, Pandora's Temple on the Titan Cronos, and even the Underworld, before returning to Athens to exact his revenge on Ares.

This PS2 action game launched the God Of War franchise, a renowned video game series with entries that are often counted among the very best of all time.  Here on VGMaps.com, it is also the first PlayStation 2 game recognized in the Maps Of The Month featurette, honouring VGCartography, a mapper skilled enough to manipulate polygons, and with the thoroughness to mark all the items of interest, creating usable maps for a game in this sixth generation of video games.

So to recognize the effort put into utilizing his divine cartography skills, VGCartography's God Of War (PlayStation 2) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for November 2022.

Offline VGCartography

Re: 2022/11: God Of War (PS2) - VGCartography
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 12:41:14 pm »
Cheers. I used Mogaika's God of War Browser to extract the levels into Blender for capturing the backgrounds.

This was one of the earlier games I played where I really liked how it looped back on itself. You hit this massive Pandora's Temple with a cool ring puzzle in the middle, then loop back through it 3 times between other big parts of the temple, modifying it each time. It also had a lot of good buildup to opening various massive doors, rotating massive mechanisms and locking massive levers in place to suddenly turn on an ancient beam of light or whatever. Then the end of the game loops back on the beginning. Overall some pretty nice design from PS2 era.

Offline eishiya

Re: 2022/11: God Of War (PS2) - VGCartography
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 07:20:57 am »
You did a great job, not just with capturing the levels, but with presenting them clearly - not an easy task for a 3D game like this.