Author Topic: 2007/05/06: VGMaps.com is FIVE years old today!  (Read 12673 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2007/05/06: VGMaps.com is FIVE years old today!
« on: May 06, 2007, 05:06:46 pm »
Today, VGMaps.com is 5 YEARS OLD!  :D

I didn't have time to make anything for this occasion, or to do anything special.  But I will take a moment now to thank all the mappers who have contributed to this site.  Sure, at the very beginning, there was only a handful of my maps.  But at some point soon after, the majority of the content was coming in from others, and at this point the site is practically everybody else's hard work.  You all made VGMaps.com what it is today: the largest video game map collection on the Internet!  So if you have ever made a map and sent it in to the site, thank you!

Has VGMaps.com been useful to you in any way?  Do you like what you have seen?  Are you hoping VGMaps.com sticks around for at least another five years or more?  Just want to give birthday wishes?  Say so in this topic!

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: 2007/05/06: VGMaps.com is FIVE years old today!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 06:16:29 pm »
Happy birthday VGMaps!

I can't even say for certain how long I've been here, but I'm glad there was a place for me to indulge in my compulsion to map video games! I remember several years ago when I first started mapping Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon, I posted about it both in the forums at The Castlevania Dungeon and The VGMuseum and nobody seemed interested at all, much less in commenting or helping in any way.

Let's hope the site sticks around for another 5 years. Cheers everyone!

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:56:50 pm »
VGMaps feeds my mapping addiction.

Offline Zeric

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:02:57 am »
Yeah happy birthday VGMaps!, if it weren't for you I would have stopped mapping a long time ago.

---

Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800) Mega Man 8 (PSX) Super Mario World (SNES)
Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline MagnetiC

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:05:17 am »
Happy birthday Vgmaps! I found this site about 4 years ago when browsing through vgmuseum's forums. There was a topic about making gamemaps for vgmuseum and someone posted a link to vgmaps.com. I loved the idea of a site filled with gamemaps and so it immediately got bookmarked.

Thanks for all the great maps, here's to another 5 years :)

---

Ignorance is bliss.
Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Mahrla

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:14:11 pm »
Happy birthday vgmaps!

And I send Jonathan a few maps today as a "present".

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 06:50:08 pm »
For some of you who joined here recently, you can see the 5 year history of VGMaps.com here...

http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.vgmaps.com

I joined here about 2 years ago with maps of about 10 games already made.  I too hope this site stays around another 5 years and a whole lot more.  If it wasn't for VGMaps.com, I too wouldn't have made so many.

So therefore, Happy B-day VGmaps.com!

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:14:02 am »
Congrats on 5 years.  I haven't been around very long, but I wish I would have found this site long before I did.  All of you have made this a great site.

Offline Chow

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:48 pm »
Congrats dude on five years, if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have gotten into E3.  To another five years!  Cheers!

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:55:26 pm »
It's great that a project like this one is still existent after five years. I always like the idea of mapping and also did "self-drawn sprite rips" from games long before I knew the internet (might have to look if I still own them - not everything survived from my early days). I don't know what I did search when I first found this site, but since then I always visited this place. I am not completely sure but I think I started real emulator ripped mapping before knowing this site (I started on Zelda 2 years ago, but lousy GIF compression in one way destroyed the finished map), so I had luck finding it afterwards to present my projects. Thanks for the site and also thanks to all the mappers who have contributed to it.