Author Topic: ToeJam & Earl (Genesis)  (Read 12667 times)

Offline DarkWolf

ToeJam & Earl (Genesis)
« on: July 08, 2007, 03:15:20 pm »
As you may know working on just one project gets boring, so while working on Blake and Wolf 3D (yes I've decided to do Wolf 3D too), I'll also be working on ToeJam & Earl for Sega Genesis.

Level 2 sprite-less

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: ToeJam & Earl (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 07:34:05 pm »
Cool. I'm assuming you'll be mapping the static maps, since although I've never played the game more than 30 seconds, I've heard that you can choose between having the maps being either static or generated randomly.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:04:03 pm »
Yeah, these will only be the fixed world maps.  I always liked the fixed world better anyway.  I've never been too much of a fan of random levels in games.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 09:11:33 pm »
Especially since they're rarely completely bug-free, and sometimes they're set up in such a way as to make the game impossible to complete. These maps might just make me want to try this game. I remember seeing it on the (very) old GamePro TV show over 15 years ago and it seemed cool for the time.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 11:33:24 am »
Three Finished maps so you can see what they look like.

Level 0

Level 1

Level 2

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 12:36:03 pm »
I'm working on this project again.  I had to start over because I switched to Maxim's Gens mod.  Also I got rid of the earthlings because they always appear in random positions even in the Fixed World maps.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 01:44:20 pm »
Nice to see this game hasn't been forgotten. I'm curious to know why the Switch to Maxim's Gens mod  required starting over though.

---

Current projects: Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »
They interpret the Genesis' 16-bit colors a bit differently.  And it was just easier to start over than go through the process of converting everything or asking Maxim to compile another version of his mod.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 03:37:07 pm »
Since I've been using his mod for Sonic CD too, can you tell me a bit more about the color differences? I want to make sure I don't have to redo yet mroe stuff from scratch...

---

Current projects: Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 04:15:11 pm »
I can make them work the same if you want. Here comes the science bit:

Gens old way: extend 5 or 6 bits per channel (565) to 8 with zeroes, results in non-maximal colours

My way: slow multiply/divide extension

An alternative: bit padding extension

eg. 16-bit colour 31-63-16 (full red, full green, half blue)

Old Gens would make that into 248, 252, 128 (31<<3, 63<<2, 16<<3)

My code would make that into 255, 255, 131 (31/31*255, 63/63*255, 16/31*255)

Bit padding extension, which I've since learned is the "best" (read: good enough and fast) way to do it, would make that into 255, 255, 130 (31<<3|31>>3, 63<<2|62>>4, 16<<3|16>>3)

Or, I could make it optional?

Hell, it took me almost as long to explain it as to do it. See here.

Offline DarkWolf

RE: ToeJam &amp; Earl (Genesis)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 11:43:31 am »
Well I just submitted this set.  I finished all of the fixed world maps.  I also did the final Funkotron level, which is pretty awesome since the game designers disabled the in-game map for that part.