Author Topic: Kirby's Dream Land 2  (Read 27944 times)

Offline marioman

RE: Kirby's Dream Land 2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:17:56 am »
Nice maps.  I have played both KDL games for the Gameboy, and I think that I like KDL2 the best.  There is such a huge difference between the two games, it is hard to believe that they are in the same series.

Keep up the good work!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 11:00:19 am »
Those are very nice Raccoon Sam. Are you going to add some sprites to it, like visible items and things like that bonus swirly thing in the grey room? They feel a bit empty like that.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:33:59 pm »
TerraEsperZ Said:
Those are very nice Raccoon Sam. Are you going to add some sprites to it, like visible items and things like that bonus swirly thing in the grey room? They feel a bit empty like that.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I'd love to keep the sprites in it but since Sprites are never static, I can never get their exact position.

---

If you're interested on hacking Donkey Kong Country, contact me via AIM. My screen name is "Raccoon Sam C"

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:50:40 pm »
Aaaaand 2-1 and 2-2 are done :D

---

If you're interested on hacking Donkey Kong Country, contact me via AIM. My screen name is "Raccoon Sam C"

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:17:57 pm »
I meant sprites that don't move :) It's a matter of preference, but I like to include items and obstacles whose position are always the same. Also bosses and mini-bosses if only because they add life to the maps.

I almost never include minor enemies unless I can find a way to know their exact starting position and as long as they don't detract from the stage itself too much.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 04:00:36 pm »
Yeah, but I aim for everything to be perfect so keeping some enemies visible and some not would be just too wonky for my liking :<

2-3 up btw.

---

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 06:13:04 am »
Everything 'til 3-1 is up!

---

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 05:37:17 am »
3-2 also :<

---

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 09:20:39 am »
All the three worlds are fully ripped now.

---

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 07:40:16 am »
2 levels from world 4 are up

---

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 10:03:19 am »
I hope you do the map with all the worlds and with each of them in their colors.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 02:05:33 pm »
Yeah, definitely. Since KDL2 has never been mapped before, I hope these will make it to MotM. I'm currently ripping 4-4 which is mega pain because there's an autoscrolling part with a gazillion hazards. If world 4 is this hard, I wonder what's 7 like :<

---

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:43:20 pm »
You've talked about not including enemies, but what about items like the hidden Rainbow Pieces and the Stars since they don't move? I don't want to nitpick too much, but few people ever comment on my maps or make suggestions so I'm taking my revenge by doing so with other mappers >:)

But seriously, I'll say again that they just look a bit too empty. I remember when I first started mapping, namely Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon, I didn't include any sprites whatsoever. When I went back to them a year afterward with more experience under my belt, I went back and added all the Hit Points, Magic Points and Hearts Upgrades, as well as all the Relics as well as moving platforms, doors and stuff like that. Basically, I wanted to capture the stages themselves in all their glory, and the items and obstacles to me were part of them. I didn't include any enemies since, as you've said, they're always moving and it's impossible to know where they start and on what frame on animation. The only exceptions were the bosses where I put in some extra efforts because, well, most of them are *big* and look *really* good, and to me they're much more significant to a map than any of the minor enemies.

Anyway, if you still don't want to add anything to these, I'll understand and keep quiet about it. But I'll still think they would look better that way ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:03 pm »
I can't see the maps right now as I'm at work, but I'm looking forward to seeing them completed.

I second TerraEsperZ on just about everything, maybe all of what he said, actually.

I don't do much mapping but if I were to do a game like this, the locations of items would be really handy - or at least the special hidden ones.  That's why people use maps; to find things.  They don't look for minor enemies, so it's not worth the effort to put them in, but it's certainly good to know where the bosses are.

I think we need more Kirby game maps on here, so I'll certainly welcome what you've already got even if you were to stop right now.  But the more complete, the better.  Goes without saying, really.  :)