Author Topic: Metroid II: Return Of Samus (GB)  (Read 12084 times)

Offline lach

Metroid II: Return Of Samus (GB)
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:20:42 pm »
Hi,

i'm very impressed by the number of maps you guys have made for various video games!

One question:

Is anybody planning to make the maps for Metroid 2: The return of Samus in the original colors? I mean grayscale, like on the good old Game Boy?

(Or maybe someone knows somewhere on the net it is available? I have tried a search, with no luck...)

Offline marioman

RE: Metroid II: Return Of Samus (GB)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:56:29 pm »
Welcome.

I would think that there is a grayscale version of that map somewhere.  Zeric probably has one.

I for one would like to know where those colors came from.  It has too many colors to have come from the Super GameBoy, and coloring all of those pixels by hand would have been tedious.  It is very interesting indeed.

Offline lach

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:12:59 pm »
Not sure but... Maybe the colored GFX are from the hacked version of the game:

http://metroid.homestead.com/Metroid2DX.html

Offline marioman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:02:54 pm »
That would make sense.  In that case, Zeric may not have the B&W version.  I can't say for sure so you will need to get a final word from him.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 06:02:36 pm »
Would it not work to make in greyscale in an image editor?  Or to apply a Game Boy palette to the maps?

Or are the colours too varied that it doesn't work quite that way?

Offline marioman

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:22:26 pm »
If I remember correctly, the GB had 4 colors.  However, I can count much more than 4 colors in the map.  Therefore, simple color replacement would be impossible.  I could be wrong, but that is how I seem to remember it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:44:30 am »
Oh, sure, but I was suggesting applying a palette of only four colours.  Everything would then "round" to the nearest grey (or white or black), though I suppose if the colours are significantly changed in terms of "brightness" (gamma, I guess) or intensity, it may not necessarily work accurately (ie. colours that are different even in the original scheme might look like the same grey).  I just thought it would be worth a try.

And you may be right, it may not totally work at all, but it would make for some neat comparison pics - actual/greyscaled/forced palette...

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:50:19 am »
There's maps for this game already posted to the website.

Ya just have to go to the Gameboy List and scroll tuntil ya find the game your looking for.