Author Topic: Back online with a new PC; kinda lost...  (Read 8002 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Back online with a new PC; kinda lost...
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:44:10 pm »
Well, I'm finally back online, and with a brand new computer to boot, the first major update I've made in about 7 years.

Of course, I'm also kinda lost. A brand new keyboard means keys that aren't exactly in the same place as before, which is a bit of a pain right now as I'm a big keyboard user. And I'm also running Windows Vista now, which is still a strange and scary place. I don't know where half the stuff is, I don't know yet how to optimize it and get rid of that annoying program control thingy that screams at me whenever I run something that touches the registry. Also, since it's an HP PC, it's loaded with software I don't plan to use and don't know how to remove. Fun times ahead I'm sure.

But still, at least I'm finally current with PC technology, except for a decent graphics card which I'll look into in the coming weeks/months.

I'm eager to transfer all my old files to my new hard drive and see which of my programs and emulators work in Vista and which don't.

Oh, and if anyone knows about a good Vista tweaking site, please let me know ;)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Back online with a new PC; kinda lost...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:09:31 pm »
My Vista install comes with Norton Internet Security, which is supposed to handle all the security of the computer, spyware, viruses and stuff. Is it worth using it for the 2 months of subscription  I have, or should I get rid of it and go with free stuff that everyone seems to use like Avast, Spybot, Adaware, etc?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 12:23:35 am »
Ugh, Vista.  I have used it on a few occasions, and it is just a pain.  There are too many security "features" available.  Plus, it is really careless with the system resources.  Due to the number of irritated users, there are all kinds of sites that tell how to tweak Vista.  Just Google what you are wanting to do.  You should be able to find what you are looking for.

Windows Vista is just Microsoft's proof that they can re-release their old OS with more eye-candy and less functionality, and STILL rake in millions from consumers.  Very sad...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 01:06:15 am »
Well normally, I wouldn't have moved to vista on my own until it had proven itself to be a reliable and stable system, so not before the first Service  Pack at least. But it came with the system pre-installed, and I'm alwayd behind whenever technology is concerned (which is really strange considering I'm an IT technician) so I'm willing to give it a try for now.

I haven't time to try many things yet, but I've at least gotten rid of the annoying account program control (lovingly refered to as Sir Obnoxious Naggy McNag on a site I visited), removed Norton Internet Security (which I would have had to do after my 2 free months anyway) and reinstalled all my favorite apps (Firefox, Irfanview, Spybot, Adaware, SpywareBlaster, Avast, Winamp), though all my roms and emulators will have for tomorrow until I can get a power cable to plug in my old HD.

I will say this though: sure, Vista is basically just eye candy, but it's still a pleasure to the eye after years of barely getting by with an inferior system.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 06:25:37 am »
I'd have formatted and started from scratch, you're starting from a system full of crap (craplets, shovelware, Norton, Vista) so you'll never have it "clean".

How's your backup system?

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:26:34 am »
It's not really weird to be behind in technology when you are in IT, because most companies don't use or need the latest and greatest machines.  Most of the machines we have sitting on the floor where I work are several years old.

Vista is horrible, we are still ordering machines with XP at work so we won't have to deal with it until absolutely necessary.  It's one thing to include new features or fix security issues.  It's quite another to rearrange everything.  I'm sure support people love having to learn the location of tools and such all over again.

And of course, they changed enough with the OS to cause compatibility issues with existing software.  I'm glad I work for a company that does web-based solutions.

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 11:34:32 am »
Man, I'm telling you, you should have gone with a Mac ;-)

Anyway, good to hear you're back online. I know I've told you about or sent you several programs and stuff over the years, so just ask me if you need anything