Author Topic: Contra (Arcade)  (Read 14280 times)

Offline salahmander

Contra (Arcade)
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:59:56 am »
Anyone for arcade contra?

Offline RT 55J

RE: Contra (Arcade)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:38:35 pm »
I'd be willing to do it, but I can't seem to find the ability to disable layers in MAME.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:11:25 pm »
Using F4 to enter the graphics mode is about as close as you get to layer disabling in MAME.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:22:43 pm »
Here's a WIP of the first stage. It lacks the background and sprites. I've also discovered that the water has a cycling palette, but I think it will be relatively easy to fix.

Also, I'm not sure about how to number the stages, because according to Wikipedia:

The original arcade version features ten stages according to the promotional flyer, counting the two "homicide sensor" bosses after the base stages as separate stages. The final four stages in the game (the snowfield, the energy zone, the hangar and the alien lair) all take place in one continuous level.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:36:20 pm »
Stage 1

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »
It looks good. It looks like the stages in this version are really short judging by the first one. Doubly so considering that the last 4 levels from the NES are combined in a single here.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:45:28 pm »
Base 1 completed. Comments on the format are welcome.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 06:29:37 am »
Looks fine to me.  I like how you arranged the different screens in the shape of the map.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 01:14:53 pm »
Waterfall and Base 2 completed.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:38:42 pm »
They look good. Granted, the bases are really confusing but that's not your fault, and using the game's own maps as a template is the best way to do it.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 08:52:20 pm »
Stages 7-10 (Snowfield, Energy Zone, Hangar, and Alien's Lair) completed. The only reasons it took so long to complete are because I was a bit busy and I encountered a couple annoying snags along the way. The map was in an almost-complete state when osrevad returned.

I made one 2 pixel error when copying the background in the last part, but I don't feel motivated enough to fix it at this point. If nobody cares, I'll submit the maps tomorrow, which means I will have officially mapped all three games in the trilogy.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:50:03 pm »
I decided to fix the error. Hopefully I didn't introduce any new ones. :P

The maps have been compressed and sent to JonLeung.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 05:20:14 pm »