Author Topic: 2008/05: Wonder Boy In Monster World (Genesis) - Dammit 9x  (Read 19419 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2008/05: Wonder Boy In Monster World (Genesis) - Dammit 9x
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:35:27 pm »
User posted image
Wonder Boy In Monster World

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Dammit 9x's Wonder Boy In Monster World (Genesis) maps.

The main character in this game is a man named Shion.  Shion is on a quest to rid Monster World of, well, monsters.  And at some point he  saves a princess.

While the story could use more work, the game is much better.  It's a cute action platformer with RPG elements.  And yes, it is cute.  And very colourful.  Seeing those large, not-too-monstrous-looking boss monsters makes you wonder why sprite artwork isn't appreciated more than it is!

The Wonder Boy games are classics for any Sega fan.  Dammit 9x was enough of a fan to map this game out in its entirety, bosses and enemies and NPCs and shops and all, doing justice to a game that should not be forgotten.

So to recognize the effort put into this Genesis classic, Dammit 9x's Wonder Boy In Monster World maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for May 2008.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: 2008/05: Wonder Boy In Monster World (Genesis) - Dammit 9x
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:05:16 pm »
If anyone was wondering about my vague description, I honestly have not played this game, but I want to now!

I remember playing a lot of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap on a friend's Master System.  Good times.  This Genesis game looks even better!

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 02:18:01 am »
WB3 is better. You can play it the TG-16 version, Dragon's Curse, on Virtual Console.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:30:45 pm »
That last boss in Monster World always gave me trouble.

Offline dammit9x

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:50:18 pm »
Well this was a pleasant surprise. =)

One thing Jon: The posted maps are in the correct order but are missing the numbers 01-16 from the filenames. I put a number over each exit in the maps to key connecting areas. So you really need those numbers for navigation.

Instead of numbers, at first I was going to put a snippet of the new area over each exit but I figured it would still be too hard for the user to know which map it went to.

Also, I'm happy to announce that gamefaqs didn't give me any guff on this one.