Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country maps revisited  (Read 52045 times)

Offline Raccoon Sam

RE: Donkey Kong Country maps revisited
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 09:35:02 pm »
That is so cool..! Thanks a lot, Maxim, I'll get to ripping ASAP.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 12:18:03 am »
Type what I said:

java -cp . TileMapReconstructor

Java knows that means "run the TileMapReconstructor.class file".

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 12:34:08 am »
'Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: TileMapReconstructor'

:<

Offline Revned

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 02:01:10 am »
Works fine for me. Did you make sure to use the "cd" command to get to the right directory? Try typing the following before the command Maxim gave you:

cd /Users/Bradbury/Desktop/DKCTilemapReconstructor/

Offline Maxim

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 03:46:31 am »
Hmm, I guess I'm too used to a commandline and never considered you might not be in the right directory.

Here's what it looks like to create the above image for me:

C:\Documents and Settings\GreadyM\Desktop\maps\DKC>java -cp . TileMapReconstructor "Jungle_" 3 32 32 "Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!].smc" 0x190000 168 16 "Jungle Hijinks.png"

Loading Jungle_0.png...

Loaded: 512x512

Got 256 tiles.

Loading Jungle_1.png...

Loaded: 512x512

Got 256 tiles.

Loading Jungle_2.png...

Loaded: 512x160

Got 80 tiles.

Loading Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!].smc...

Creating map...

Saving...

Done!

It seems you didn't rip all the tilesets yet, but most things I've tried seem to work fine. For the level ranges you've documented, the map width can be calculated from (end offset - start offset + 1) / 32, so for example "190000 - 1914FF   Jungle Hijinx" becomes 0x15000 / 32 = 168 (hence the 168 parameter in the commandline above).

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 05:45:22 am »
Hmm, that's odd. Doesn't seem to work for me.. Is there a way to compile/convert it to a JAR? I'm most certain they work.

And don't thank me for those offsets, they're all Giangurgolo's wondrous works. He has also ripped the banana sets and explained how they work in his site, too. You might want to take that into a consideration too.

http://giangurgolo.home.att.net/dkc/

Offline Maxim

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 06:30:01 am »
I'm not sure a jar helps, since it still needs to be in the right directory and to have loads of commandline options passed in.

java -jar TileMapReconstructor.jar "Jungle_" 3 32 32 "Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!].smc" 0x190000 168 16 "Jungle Hijinx.png"

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 07:08:58 am »
Impressive work! I'm always amazed at what people can accomplish from reading a game's original data.

(Although I'm glad in a way that you're not trying to dump/extract maps from games I'm mapping, otherwise I'd be out of work ;))

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 07:30:19 am »
Maxim Said:
I'm not sure a jar helps, since it still needs to be in the right directory and to have loads of commandline options passed in.

java -jar TileMapReconstructor.jar "Jungle_" 3 32 32 "Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!].smc" 0x190000 168 16 "Jungle Hijinx.png"

Reading Giangurgolo's documents, it seems the water levels are encoded differently and will need a modified program to be dumped.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. That's why I had the * in my first post but never explained why.. Sorry about that.

And Slipslide ride is sequenced in rows, too.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 08:51:06 am »
I'll try to mod it tonight if I get a chance. It's just a simple switch between column-wise and row-wise processing.

I think making it totally generic will be very hard, unfortunately, but the code is hopefully simple enough that it can be adapted for other games. Many games work in a similar way.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 09:10:05 am »
Hey, that'd be great.

And yeah, a similar format is really common, but what amazed me the most was that a SNES-game used it.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 11:52:07 am »
Can you point me at tile images and offsets for these horizontally-stored stages? I can't really make it without being able to test it.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 12:34:47 pm »
Oh, right..!

Well, I've got my entrance exam for an art university tomorrow morning, and it's 21:32 now. It starts 9 o' clock and ends at 4 PM, so I'll get to ripping the tiles in... 19 hours or so.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 12:38:35 pm »
...by which time, I'll be on a plane. So don't expect a response until Tuesdayish.

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 05:47:14 am »
Wow.... it's probably just me but this does look really complicated for me... I know nothing about Java (well I know what Java is but I don't now how to erm.. "use it")...

*coughmakemoremapsnaoorillgomadlolcough* <_< just kidding <_< Nah... I don't want this to go down like the DKL2 topic >_> <_<