Author Topic: ReBoot! Whoa.  (Read 13908 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
ReBoot! Whoa.
« on: May 24, 2008, 07:28:26 am »
What's this all about?

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: ReBoot! Whoa.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:58:44 am »
Maybe they're finally going to make an official announcement about the upcoming movies, and heck, maybe a teaser/trailer? I can't wait to see what they come up with, and if it will have as much heart as the old show (doubtful).

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), etc
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Eggz

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:23:24 am »
I'm excited about the series revival. Back when I had come across some of the conceptual art for the new trilogies I was impressed how they kept the old feel of the original characters, but made them more "futuristic" so to speak without making them look too goofy... or too much like Matrix. :P

I just hope that they don't feel as disjointed or slapped together as I found Deamon Rising and My Two Bobs felt.

---

This looks like a job for Science!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:29:15 am »
I loved the ending of Season 3, if they had to end it, that would've been a good place for it.  Fitting that ReBoot would end with a literal reboot.

Daemon Rising was cool.

My Two Bobs! was bleah, until the wedding scene.  Then it was cool, but the ridiculous cliffhanger has been bugging me for years.

When they were talking about five or so story possibilities for a revival, I was glad that the one storyline that would've continued from there ended up as the most popular.

Let's hope that is indeed what happens, assuming this countdown is for official news of such a revival.

Hey...it says "ms" (assumedly for milliseconds) but since those are hundredths, not thousandths, it should be "cs" (for centiseconds).  Though commonly used, I don't think I've heard anyone actually say the word "centiseconds"...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:34 pm »
Less than seven hours!

Offline Eggz

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:38:31 pm »
Just over an hour...

---

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »
It counts down to midnight, I guess each time zone sees it in their own local time.  I still have over two hours.

Whoever's on the east coast, let us know!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »
13 minutes remaining over here...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), etc
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:19:52 pm »
Well that was disappointing. The countdown has been replaced by "Binomes at work" with five dots flashing on and off like it's waiting for something.

I wasn't expecting much, but I feel that a countdown should at least count down to *something* other than a generic "wait some more sucker!".

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Eggz

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:39 pm »
Lovely... Got to love hype simply for hype's sake. I got the same thing over on my end as well.

---

Offline Eggz

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:28:45 pm »
http://rebootrevival.com/?p=223

So news about the new movies, or weblink to the semi-fan-made webcomic produced by Rainmaker/Mainframe? I guess we'll find out in the morning (hopefully).

---

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 07:05:18 pm »
It was the launch of the comic...

To be honest, it didn't feel right.  The plot seemed kinda rushed in this first book.  Also, MegaByte was useless (actually, many characters were useless), and Turbo comes off as a real jerk.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:06:23 pm »
Meh. It did what RainMakers intended I supposed, which is to resolve loose ends and move on to establish *their* vision of ReBoot for the upcoming movies. As such, it felt rushed and mechanical in quickly resolving "The Hunt", introducing Gnosis, killing all the viruses unceremoniously (especially Megabyte) and ending with a totally-unexpected(!) cliffhanger with an evil codemaster.

There's also the feeling that they're trying to be epic without using the means to accomplish it. I mean that, like Season 4, incredible events are happening that will change the entire net in massive ways, and yet we barely see any of it and it's over in a flash, and we're left wondering if anything worthwhile happened at all.

Visually, it's not too bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to the CGI of the show. I know that looks aren't everything, but considering ReBoot's massive computer inspiration, it's a big part of its identity; in addition, some of the new designs are horrible (Bob's armor for one).

I have other beefs with the story, but they mostly concern things that I thought were wrong with how Season 4 handled the story and characters, so it wouldn't be fair to judge the comic by them.

*trying desperately not to spew a torrent of venom  at Season 4*

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:10 am »
I had a weird dream last night, part of which included me getting excited that supposedly the enitre ReBoot series was on DVD and I was at some auction house ready to buy it.

I've been watching the original (G1) Transformers lately.  Funny how both the Transformers and ReBoot have a classic Season 1, a dark Season 3, and an extremely truncated Season 4.  Huh.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 10:06:38 am »
At least Transformers had DVDs made of every seasons...

By the way, the comic is still on-going.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)