Author Topic: Transformers Movie discussion  (Read 177326 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Transformers Movie discussion
« on: May 22, 2006, 06:24:12 pm »
Transformers Movie script review @ LatinoReview.com

Not sure what to think.  If this guy truly is a Transformers fan, then there is some hope if he's all excited about it.  It's got an "A+: A Complete Miracle" rating, which is...pretty high.

Soundwave is only four and a half feet tall?  o_0

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Transformers Movie discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 07:01:14 pm »
So, can we post links yet? *hopeful*

Anyway, I'm suspicious of anyone who fully praises or fully flames a script without providing any significant details.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:40:49 pm »
There are plenty of details there...almost too much, if you want the first ten minutes of the film spoiled, assuming any possible final revisions don't change it drastically.

If you want a second opinion you can see here @ The Movie Reporter.  Definitely a different opinion on it.

They might change Soundwave to "Soundbyte".  I guess that works, since he's smaller and all.  I can understand his size being because they wanted to keep him as a boombox after all but without major mass-shifting, but then it looks odd compared to other Decepticons...so having an action scene with him on Air Force One makes sense.  By having him on a plane, a smaller, confined space, with an action scene probably all to himself (it's unlikely any other Transformers will fit inside the plane, after all), he wouldn't be compared to them and we'd forget that he's small...except that he'll probably be fighting humans, but ah well.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:12:59 am »
* WARNING, SPOILERS ABOUND! *

I'm really disappointed in both reviews actually. The first one seemed to shower praises like it was the second coming of Jesus, and the second is basically saying "it's flawed because it's nothing like G1".

Of course, having followed the development on Transformers message boards for the last few months, I've known for a while that it will be G1-inspired at most. I think we can expect some familiar names and a few alt-modes, but that's it. The rest is yet another new TF universe, in the same way that Armada/Energon/Cybertron were, except this time it will be live-action.

Sure, some parts have me worried a bit (Camaro Bumblebee communicating through music on his radio, Starscream allegedly looking like a gorilla with wings, Soundwave/byte/whatever being decapitated by a girl, the TF searching for the "Energn Cube" instead of the more appropriate and better-sounding Matrix) but ultimately it won't diminish by enjoyment of previous comics, shows and toys. If anything, I'm looking foward to an entirely new take on the TF mythos in terms of designs and concepts (like Transtech might have been after Beast Machines with alien-looking technorganic vehicles and other futuristic goodness).

And please, *please* re-establish the ability to post pics at the very least, because there are tons of TF goodness I want to share with you guys!

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:49:55 am »
I want to see what you have to show!

I've seen some neat stuff, too. Like the alternators Optimus. Haven't seen him in stores yet, but it looks interesting. And then there's the remake of Unicron, as Prime (is that right?), the embodiment of Cybertron.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:42:10 pm »
bustin, I think you're thinking of Primus.  Yeah, I guess these planetoid Transformers are kind of cool, if you can ignore the issue of scale.  Kind of like how Metroplex/Trypticon/Fortress Maximus/Scorponok were above-average-sized, but they don't really serve as "cities".  More like a few parking spots for the smaller Transformers.

Speaking of Scorponok, I noticed that he sounds like a Minicon or a "X"-master.  In that review it's mentioned that he seems to come out of Vortex.  I can understand the reusage of his name since he's a scorpion.  (Kinda funny, going from large Decepticon city (at the end of G1 cartoon), also one-time Decepticon leader (G1 comics, I believe), to an average-sized grunt (in early Beast Wars) and now this little guy.)  What I don't get is what "Scorponok" means.  "Scorp" is from scorpion, obviously, but "onok"?  Am I missing something here?

Popular name, that.  If there were going to be any animal-based Transformers I think fan favourite Grimlock would've been a better fit.  I'm sure there are robotic T-Rexes that are deliberately metallic-looking at some monster truck shows or something which could explain his form.  Kinda lame, but if they're really going to show how their forms are chosen, which I believe the reviews do say they do, I wonder why a Decepticon in the form of a scorpion?

I think it'd be easier to swallow "Soundbyte", particularly if he truly does get killed off.  With the possibility of sequels, they might still be able to introduce a proper Soundwave that is somehow like the G1 character - or else have an explanation for mass-shifting, a better way to ignore his different size, or a different alt-form that works for him, like his most recent jet form.

Heck, I heard Megatron might be a jet too, a la Generation 2 (the original toy, I believe, not the green/purple tank that came later).

If it is truly wall-to-wall action, then maybe we won't care too much when they start trashing downtown LA or whatever.  Characters like Soundwave and Megatron didn't fight in their alt-forms on the original show (unless you count Megatron transforming into a gun for Starscream to use, and we know that's not happening), so perhaps the fight sequences might actually be more exciting if Soundwave is human-sized and that Megatron has a more viable alt-form.  Though I still say he should be a tank, though...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 12:55:56 pm »
Actually bustin98, you're thinking of Primus, the creator of the Transformers and cosmic rival of Unicron in the old G1 comic and pretty much in every recent TF continuity. He's also portrayed by Hasbro at least, as being the God of Light for the entire multiverse, with Unicron being his opposite   as the God of Chaos for the same.

As for new stuff, since links are better than nothing...

-First, the upcoming Masterpiece Starscream which will come out in Japan this year, with no word on whether Hasbro will bring it over here. I've heard it will be about 32 cm long as a realistic F-15 aircraft and 22 cm high as a robot. Pre-orders are about 99$ (US).

Masterpiece Starscream prototype:

http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc16&image=64071_1148361356903.jpg

-Next, we have design sketches for the upcoming Classic Optimus Prime (they are really close to the only pic of the prototype found, which was a badly scanned fax copy of a retailer sollicitation). It will be part of Hasbro's  upcoming Classic line which will be sold between Cybertron and the movie line, and will feature updated toys of classic G1 characters.

Classic Optimus Prime:

https://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4908/classicoptimusprimerobotmode5b.jpg

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/3066/primedlxtruck0ci9qb.jpg

I'll try to find links to the Astrotrain prototype pics later.

-The upcoming Titanium line will consist of diecast statues of TFs. The forgettable 3" line will consist of ugly, badly sculpted/molded/painted characters who all look like they are constipated (I'm not kidding) but the oh-so-sweet 6" will consists of transforming statues with great-looking sculpts and colors!

The first four characters are War Within Optimus Prime and World War II Cobra-controlled Megatron (Wave 1), and War Within Thundercracker and War Within Jetfire (Wave 2).

The War Within characters are from the now-defunct  Dreamwave comics and represent the TFs before they came to Earth. Optimus Prime is dead-on to his comic counterpart, Jetfire a simplified version of his and Thundercracker is really deformed for some reason. Megatron is a new design since the gun-mode he was forced to adopt by Cobra Commander in Dreamwave's GIJoe vs Transformers during World War II was a realistic gun of the era, which is a big no-no these days. That's why Don Figueroa, a regular TF comic artist and the guy who designed all the above War Within characters in the comic (plus the Classic Optimus Prime), was asked to design a new Megatron for that era. He's confirmed on the net that he's supposed to be a tricked-out Maus tank, slowly bidding his time until he can take revenge on Cobra Commander.

War Within Optimus Prime:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8945/titaniumoptimusprimerobotmode5.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6735/titaniumoptimusprimevehiclemod.jpg

World War II Cobra Megatron:

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/5084/titaniummegatronrobotmode7lb.jpg

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/8196/titaniummegatronvehiclemode2kg.jpg

War Within Jetfire:

http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/1139/titaniumjetfirebothmode6bf.jpg

War Within Thundercracked:

http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/379/titaniumthundercrackerbothmode.jpg

...I think that's enough for now.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 01:09:55 pm »
Jetfire looks sweet, Thundercracker looks bulky. I'm not impressed with the Optimus and Megatron. I take it Optimus and Megatron are the 3" figures?

---

Cool beans

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 01:10:26 pm »
Oh, thanks for posting all that, by the way. :D

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 01:57:19 pm »
Nope, they are all part of the 6" line. Maybe you don't like the designs (I'm actually looking foward to Prime and Megatron the most), but they are technically well done I think. Let me find a pictures of some of the early 3" ones and tell me what you think...

Starscream:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS11913.jpg

Alternator Sideswipe:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS11912.jpg

War Within Optimus Prime:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS11911.jpg

Beast Wars Megatron:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS11910.jpg

Unicron:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS11914.jpg

-In addition, I finally found the bad faxed pics for both Classic Optimus Prime and Megatron. Prime is pretty much like the earlier sketch, and Megatron turns into a futuristic gun, although it's difficult to make out any detail.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8784/classicprime1kg.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6320/classicmegatron1ch.jpg

-Also, Don Figueroa, who was responsible for many Classic designs it seems, is drawing the upcoming Stormbringer comic for IDW which stars Jetfire. The fact that the design looks really toy-like has lead many fans to speculate that Don used the same design for both. In that spirit, the following cover is a strong possibility of what Classic Jetfire will look like:

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/4043/stormbringercover1lc.jpg

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 02:08:21 pm »
Maybe its because you can see more detail on Optimus and Megatron, I don't like that dark accent paint. Looking closer at the jets it seems they have it too. But the scultping job doesn't seem as clean as it could be.

The Stormbringer looks cool. I wouldn't mind having a Jetfire that looked that way.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 02:15:21 pm »
bustin98 Said:
Maybe its because you can see more detail on Optimus and Megatron, I don't like that dark accent paint. Looking closer at the jets it seems they have it too. But the scultping job doesn't seem as clean as it could be.

The Stormbringer looks cool. I wouldn't mind having a Jetfire that looked that way.

---

Cool beans

Well, since all the Titanium figures are diecast metal, the details will inevitably look softer than if they were made of plastic, though I think they look worlds better than the 3" ones. I've seen pics of later waves, and they do improve, but you still can't get much details out of 3" tall metal statues.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 02:25:56 pm »
I didn't make it clear, but there *is* a Classic Jetfire coming up, most likely designed by Don. That's why I posted the comic cover he drew.

By the way, Don is an amazing guy, and he always designs TF in his comics so that they can transform. It's not wonder Hasbro are having him do concept sketches for new toys.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 05:37:30 pm »
Is the "Figueroa" character in the Transformers movie likely named after him?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 05:43:08 pm »
Maybe, though I can't be sure. I could be a common family name for all I know. I doubt it's an hommage, since few people know about him outside of modern TF comic reader or people who visit either The Allspark or The 2005 message boards. Maybe someone involved in the script heard about him casually and thought it was a neat family name to use....

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)