Author Topic: Maps Of The Month - potentially late update?  (Read 8102 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Maps Of The Month - potentially late update?
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:58:25 pm »
I won't be home until probably fairly late tomorrow (Sept. 30).  I'm pretty sure I'll remember to update the Maps of the Month (the change isn't automatic), but just in case, the Mapmaker of the Month is TerraEsperZ.  That should be enough to clue you in.

And he's already gotten the honour too many times so if I am late in updating he won't miss much.  :P

There were a few other games I really wanted to honour this month but this one was long overdue so I felt it had to be this one.  Perhaps I'll find some context to be able to put other Hallowe'eny games in months other than October...

Of all the days in the month to have an event...I also foresee this happening next month...

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Maps Of The Month - potentially late update?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:48:38 pm »
Man, I start (and drop, and stall, and lose in an HD crash, etc) so many map sets that I have *absolutely* no idea which game I recently mapped that would earn me the honor.

No seriously, I don't even remember which was the last one.

*checks his Hotmail Sent folder*

Oh yeah, maybe that one...

Anyway, maybe one day I'll win the honor for maps I truly deem worthy of it (most of which are still unfinished sadly...)

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:12:52 am »
Well, I didn't say recent...in fact that's why I chose it, it was so long overdue.

I try to have the Maps Of The Month somewhat related to the month or current events.  For October it should be Hallowe'en-related.  Or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Krusty's Fun House maps were honoured last year in the months when the TMNT and Simpsons movies came out.  That sort of thing.

Which pretty much means that some months it's easier to decide than others.

I hope to find other months with enough context to put up the other Hallowe'enish games I wanted to honour.  For example, I put up Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon in June 2007 because I figured there was probably something about "the moon in June".  I think it's a song and/or a film or something.

It's rare for the Maps Of The Month to actually be something submitted within the past month.  Time submitted is not really a criteria, other than that I don't want well-mapped games, or games I think people just like, to go too long without recognition.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:25:06 am »
Tying in too closely with events might be counter-productive. I wouldn't want to think my MOTM was just because of a not-very-good movie. It ought to be more about impressive achievements and good-looking games.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:36:32 pm »
If I ever get around to working on that revamp (>_>), maybe while I'm at it I'll consider implementing some kind of system of users being able to nominate maps, map sets and/or mappers, and then the MotM could simply be whichever gets a lot of user recognition.

However, that may make it more difficult for impressive maps that have been around for a while that simply weren't honoured yet.  New maps have the advantage of being seen on the weekly update news post.  Same with games that get a map or two added each week as opposed to one that's submitted all at once.

Also, the "honour" is dubious...other than 200 measley "Gold" pieces that no one here cares about, and a lame "Mapmaker Of The Month" item, which is also not that exciting, there's not much to it.  :(  I'm not sure what else to do in that regard...I'd rather have Maps Of The Month than not, but I don't know that anyone is particularly impressed.  A couple passing comments (if any at all) from others on the MotM topic and that's it for your fifteen minutes.  :(

And no, Maxim, I do love your Krusty's Fun House maps, and it would be unfair for me to say it wouldn't've been honoured at all if not for the Simpsons movie.  I figured you deserved MotM at some point for all your contributions to the Master System atlas and elsewhere, but yes, I would be lying if I said I didn't at least seek to "capitalize" on current events...or that recent events didn't skew my decision to do it for that game at that time as opposed to some other game at some other time.  I'm sure there are other times when I questioned the decision of having the choice being made by a single person.

The trick now is figuring out how a democratic process would work...

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:10:08 pm »
JonLeung Said:
I won't be home until probably fairly late tomorrow (Sept. 30).  I'm pretty sure I'll remember to update the Maps of the Month (the change isn't automatic), but just in case, the Mapmaker of the Month is TerraEsperZ.  That should be enough to clue you in.

And he's already gotten the honour too many times so if I am late in updating he won't miss much.  :P

There were a few other games I really wanted to honour this month but this one was long overdue so I felt it had to be this one.  Perhaps I'll find some context to be able to put other Hallowe'eny games in months other than October...

Of all the days in the month to have an event...I also foresee this happening next month...

Wait a minute. Are you implying that the MotM is not CV Bloodlines?

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman