Author Topic: REQ: Shantae (GBC)  (Read 24875 times)

Offline br1sby

REQ: Shantae (GBC)
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:47:17 pm »
Shantae was a beautiful sidescrolling game that got released near to the end of the GBC's lifecycle, causing a lot of people to miss it. The art is seriously impressive and undoubtedly pushes the GBC's technical limits. Mapping it may be a bit of a challenge since the game employs a real-time transition between day and night which changes the maps' asthetiques and also reveals "fireflies," secret collectible items. Here's an illustration of the world-map (not in-game)

http://media.ignimgs.com/guides/guides/15286/images/MapAncient.jpg

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: REQ: Shantae (GBC)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:37:23 pm »
I once thought about doing it, but at the time Visualboy Advance didn't emulate it correctly making it playable but with garbled graphics.

Of course, nowadays I just have too many games to map to even consider it, but hopefully I'll at least have the time to play it now that VBA-M emulates it perfectly.

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:32:36 pm »
I thought it was neat that being one of the last Game Boy Color games, you could play a specifically advanced version on the Game Boy Advance.

That has better colours, so map that...though I would put it in the Game Boy Color section regardless.

Offline Will

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:30:02 am »
You're doing terrific Terra, but don't let your long list of projects become an obstacle. Whichever projects you are closest to completing it would be a good idea to get it over and done with.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:22:56 am »
IGN has maps for this games, but as JPEG. Still they are worth looking at:

http://uk.guides.ign.com/guides/15286/page_2.html

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:30:02 pm »
A bit off-topic, but there has been talk of a Shantae WiiWare game.  That could be sweet.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:03 pm »
I once saw an impressive demo for a GBA sequel of Shantae. It would be cool if they were to release it for WiiWare as a retro title like Mega Man 9.

Which reminds me that I really need to find time to actually play the GBC game for more than a few minutes.

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:24 pm »
Well it looks like IGN beat me to it but I'll give a shot anyway.  Don't know where to begin so I'll just start mapping.