Author Topic: Peardian's map projects in progress and planned  (Read 254300 times)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: Peardian's map projects in progress and planned
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:30 pm »
Well, this isn't good. I just started up Master Quest to start mapping it, but now I'm getting a "too many commands" error and the graphics aren't showing for the video plugin I use to rip the models. I know it was working last time I tried, so it probably has something to do with when I updated my video driver some months ago.

Edit: Very bad news. It isn't exporting textures or VRML data for the game, either. I'm going to have to either piece together all of the maps manually, or find another way to rip it. Otherwise, I may have to forego Master Quest.

Edit: Good news! I found an old VRML editor thing from 2007 that can actually open the weirdly-formed VMRL files created by PJ64. Sure, the model it spits out is squished in one direction and might not have the textures done properly, but this is better than nothing. Whether or not it works well enough for me to continue is something you'll find out in a day or so!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:03:12 am by Peardian »
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Rew

« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »
So any news on the VRML editor front for Master Quest?
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »
I'm afraid I haven't tried it yet. :-[ What little free time I had after work I spent messing with Brawl stage creation. I'm hoping to work on it more soon. That reminds me, I should maybe post some of my custom model stuff on this board...

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
Bad news. I may have to cancel Master Quest after all, as the method I thought was working turns out to produce rotated,skewed results that are essentially unusable. Sorry, everybody! Looks like there will be no Master Quest maps after all.

Looks like that means I'm moving on to Majora's Mask! :D

Offline Rew

« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2013, 06:16:03 am »
Ah, oh well. To be honest, I'm more excited about Majora's Mask maps anyway!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2013, 08:25:25 am »
From what I remember, unless you're playing the 3DS version which is mirrored, aren't the maps for Master Quest the same as the original, though with exceptions of elements within the rooms, like which doors are locked and the contents of chests?  So, and correct me if I'm wrong, there aren't new textures or items in Master Quest...  Then even if you can't get the textures from Master Quest, couldn't you still determine what objects are where and use the textures from the original to somehow reconstruct it?  I'm no techie and have no experience with this, so I don't know how easy that would be; I guess I'm just assuming the polygon data and texture data are separate and interchangeable...  Though I imagine even if this was possible, it'd still be a whole lot of work.

But anyway, whether my suggestion for Master Quest is of any value, like Rew said, I am more excited for Majora's Mask to be mapped next!  :D

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2013, 09:32:18 pm »
There are at most one or two new objects, but the main issue is that I would have to freely place every single object in the dungeon. There's too much room for error for me to be comfortable with.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:48 pm »
It started as an "eh, why not, I already ripped some" thing when I submitted the first two, but now I'll just make it official: I'm ripping unmarked versions of the boards in the first Mario Party. After all, I haven't done much of anything else lately.

Just finished Wario's Battle Canyon. Sadly I didn't get the pun (Wario) until just last night, despite owning the game.

Edit: Luigi's Engine Room, too.

Edit: Bowser's Magma Mountain done.

Edit: Eternal Star and Mini-Game Stadium done.

Edit: All done!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:50:23 pm by Peardian »

Offline Rew

« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2013, 12:29:39 pm »
Hey Peardian! So when do you think you'll be finishing the Yoshi's Island GBA Secret stages? :)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #204 on: July 21, 2013, 10:18:31 pm »
Yeah, sorry about that.  :-[ Lots of real life things have gotten in the way recently, such as me getting sick with something we can't explain yet and missing just about two weeks worth of work. I'm still trying to get my groove back, and I'm also working on (yet another) custom model. Once I finish with it, I'm hoping to finally start Majora's Mask and pick back up Yoshi. I have no idea how long it will take, but I'm going to shoot for August.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2013, 07:40:08 pm »
I just got a new computer! It's very fancy and very fast. So what does that mean for my mapping? Well, apparently the N64 ripping method I've always used does not work on Windows 7. Luckily, I have Win7 Professional, which means I get the virtual Windows XP, but there's no guarantees that will allow it to work. The worst case scenario is that I will have to keep my old computer set up next to me, and use it to rip Majora's Mask maps and then render it on here. Everything else should be the same, hopefully.

Offline Trop

« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2013, 10:58:01 pm »
Have you tried the new PJ64 as far as mapping goes?  It looks pretty slick but I haven't tested out all it's new moves yet.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2013, 10:40:48 am »
Good news! Apparently, the person who told me the N64 process didn't work in Windows 7 just didn't know how to do it properly, because I just ripped test scenes from Paper Mario and (more importantly) Majora's Mask and it worked perfectly fine. I'll have to have a talk with that person...

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »
Since the year is about to end, I thought I'd give you all a preview of what I have planned for 2014.

(click for HD wallpaper)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:12:53 am by Peardian »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2013, 05:54:12 pm »
:D