Author Topic: 2008/12: Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis (DS) - Peardian  (Read 19766 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
User posted image
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Peardian's Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis (DS) maps.

It's time to pick out your toys, girls and boys!  Would you pick a Mini-Mario, or a Mini-DK?  In Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2, the original video game damsel in distress, Pauline, chooses a Mini-Mario toy over a Mini-DK toy, causing an enraged Donkey Kong to kidnap her (again) in a fit of jealous rage.  Mario sends in his army of Mini-Marios, and the clash of the toys begins!

Like its predecessor (which was honoured back in March of this year), the game is heavy with puzzle elements.  Unlike its predecessor, rather than controlling Mario, you will be micro-managing the movements of your Mini-Marios with the help of the mighty stylus.  Once you figure out what to do, you still need to be able to carry it out.  Peardian's maps can at least help you with that first part.  And the colourful and cute graphics just look great.

So to recognize the effort put into making these maps to guide us through this action puzzler, and our first fully-mapped DS game, Peardian's Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for December 2008.

Offline RT 55J

RE: 2008/12: Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis (DS) - Peardian
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:31:12 am »
This game looks much better than its predecessor, even when taking into account the technical limitations of both.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:30:06 am »
I never played this one. I only stuck with the first one because I'm a Donkey Kong '94 fan, but this looked different enough that it didn't interest me. How are the puzzles? Do they feel clever, or just repetitive?

Anyway, good job Peardian.

JonLeung

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:22:41 pm »
Nice maps!

Could you tell us how to compile NDS maps?

I mean the nds emulator No$GBA could only pick the screen into clipboard, not forming a PNG/BMP file, that makes the map job so slow...

Offline Maxim

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:45 am »
Some people prefer to map using only the clipboard. I think there must be some free software that will automatically save all images copied to the clipboard, but Google only shows up crappy shareware.

[30 minutes later]

http://www.smspower.org/maxim/forumstuff/saveclipboardimages.zip

AutoIt program with source, watches the clipboard and when a new image appears, saves it as a numbered PNG in the current directory.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:34:37 pm »
Thanks for the honor. :D

And believe it or not, I just used print screen and mspaint for half the work. After I got the level foreground copied into paint, I used Macromedia Fireworks to handle the antialiasing while adding in the background. I wish I had a map viewer program or something like VBA has so that I could map M&LPT, but unfortunately I don't.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!