Author Topic: Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis)  (Read 43593 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:29:53 pm »
I already posted some previews on the previous board, but since I finally finished Stage 3 after taking a break from Metroid Fusion for a few days, I'm reposting it for the benefit of whoever cares about this game.

Stage 1 - Romania:

http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=castlevaniabloodlinesstage1rom.png

Stage 2 - Greece:

http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=castlevaniabloodlinesstage2gre.png

Stage 3 - Italy (NEW):

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=castlevaniabloodlinesstage3ita.png

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

RE: Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:26:12 am »
Is the tower with the many platforms, which is located in front of the purple clouds, one of the areas which spins around?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:39:53 am »
In Italy, the weirdest (and funniest to map) parts are:

1) Stage 3-5: The tall blue tower. This part automatically scrolls up as the whole thing sways from left to right with Medusa heads attacking from both sides.

To map it, I took screenshots when the tower was fully upright to get the right tiles. Then I took several screenshots to get the general position of  all the platforms and candles. Finally, I assembled the tower's background and added in the platforms and candles, aligning them all to the 8 x 8 pixels grid (since most screenshots showed the tower while leaning to one side or another, all the platforms/candles were slightly off by a few pixels).

2) Stage 3-7: The floating platforms in the purple sky. Another area with automatic scrolling that was difficult to map. At first, the map scrolls diagonally upward to the left, with the Tower of Pisa slowly comnig into view in the background until you've reached the end of the platforms. Then it starts to scroll upward as two different sets of platforms start floating down at different speeds, until you reach the last series of platforms and the whole thing starts scrolling diagonally to the right. This time, the Tower of Pisa stays into view and another series of platforms is seen behind the Tower, giving the impression that you're actually climbing around the tower this time.

To map this, I basically counted the number of platforms on both diagonal series, and noted that the Tower in the background scrolled down at the same speed as those platforms (this told me how much height there was between the two).

After this, I started mapping the platforms that were coming down in the vertical part, separating them in two sets depending on their speeds.

I chose to show the Tower only in the vertical part since it's where it would be the most visible, and I added the little platforms in the background because I thought it looked good. I also made the Tower fully upright since in the game it's tilted by a few pixels but it doesn't really look good enough to keep the effect.

As for both sets of falling platforms, they were much taller than the vertical part (since they came down faster than scrolling) so I just pasted one over the other in the same order as the game and centered the resulting section vertically over the vertical area. That meant that many platforms were cut off at the top and bottom, but that's how it looked best in my opinion.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:42:05 am »
Sorry Grizzly, I just realized I didn't exactly answer your question. No, it's not an area that spins around like the Dark Tower in Battletoads or other such effects. It just scrolls in three successive directions with the Tower and the little platforms in the background merely suggesting such an effect.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:15:48 pm »
Are these ready to go as submissions or should I wait until you're all done?

I know you have other projects in the pipeline...like Treasure Master and Metroid Fusion.  Sometimes I wonder if I should put up some of what you have, if only to sort of "call dibs" on a game's maps more clearly than just stating so in the forums.

You wouldn't want me to put up a whole slew of Treasure Master maps submitted by someone else, now, would you?  If I didn't happen to remember that you started it and if their maps were as good as yours could ever be, then I would pretty much have to take theirs and your work would be unrecognized or redundant...

Just a suggestion.  I'm sure you don't want to be told how to work.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 01:09:57 pm »
Well, the reason why I almost never submit anything before the whole game is mapped is that my idea of the formatting of the map and the titles, the map key and such, are certain to change along the way. That's why I show them here without any of this, because I'm still not sure about how I'll present them and I risk redoing them later on and not dare to resubmit them again for essentially aesthetic reasons.

But since the Bloodlines maps are pretty straithforward, I'll see about adding a map header  and submitting the first three shortly. You're right, I'd rather *not* have someone put his first while I'm still deliberating on my side. I'll post them here for submission once the header have been added.

Speaking of which, I really should finalize the Treasure Master project, where the above is all that's left to set in stone. Give me a day or two, and you'll get them (but sadly most likely without all that walkthrough info I initially wanted to include).

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 02:29:30 pm »
No hurry if you want to add more stuff...or you could add stuff later and I'll gladly replace any maps you improved on.  I just don't want to see anyone's work go to waste.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:25:43 pm »
Looks like it will have to wait a few days, the parents are invading my place unannounced this weekend...

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 03:23:12 pm »
Unannounced?  Then how do you know already?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 03:29:35 pm »
Unannounced as in, I'd have prefered to know early in the week rather than yesterday evening. Unplanned would have been a better word to use.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 09:18:27 pm »
Or uninvited.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 09:54:28 pm »
Uninvited.  Now that was a creepy game.

User posted imageUser posted image

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 12:00:34 pm »
I never played that game, despite being intrigued by it at the time I saw a preview in Nintendo Power. There are still a lot of NES games I have yet to play, but whenever I browse ROM sites I just can't think of any.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 12:46:32 pm »
I like Deja Vu, Shadowgate, and Uninvited - Kemco-Seika's three "storybook" games for the NES...despite the fact that some parts in Shadowgate and Univited scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 07:32:59 pm »
I have the Windows 3.1 version of these 3 games, assuming Deja Vu I & II counts as one game.