Author Topic: Paladin's Quest  (Read 22410 times)

Offline FlyingArmor

Paladin's Quest
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:02:24 am »
Hey everyone. :D

Until now, I had been an active lurker (heheh) here for the past few months when I first discovered VGMaps. In that time, I resurrected a mapping project that had been lying dormant for eight years (I can't believe it's been that long... O_o), and that project is Paladin's Quest, one of my favourite RPGs for the SNES.

I have most of the game mapped out already, so it'll only be a matter of time before everyone gets to see them, but for now I'll post the overworld map.

http://zanazac.teardrop.ca/Paladin'sQuest-LennusWorldMap.png

I probably spent at least 20 hours working on this thing, most of that time spent lining up all those islands in the ocean hemisphere and making sure the ocean currents were done properly. But for the most part I'm really happy with it. What do you all think? :)

Some other mapping projects I'd like to start (or have already started) include: Lennus II, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, and The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang.

I'm better known on the net as zanazac (http://zanazac.deviantart.com), but for here, I thought I'd try out a different name. Nice to meet you all. :D

Offline Tropicon

RE: Paladin's Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:46:02 pm »
Fantastic!  So this is your first world map huh? Their monsters aren't they.  So many things to nail down on one big image.  You did a great job though, it looks quite professional.

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom is fun to map because of how you can snap the rooms together like a puzzle, and I never though to map Spike McFang outside the Jungle of Mazes.  It should look pretty cool.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:19 pm »
Welcome!  It's exciting to have another new mapper!

It's funny, I was just thinking about this game just the other day. I was wondering why we haven't seen much of the Final Fantasy games mapped, but then I was thinking about some of the lesser-known non-Square 16-bit RPGs that I enjoyed.

Paladin's Quest and The Twisted Tales Of Spike McFang came to mind, so I'm glad you've taken them on. :D

Is that Paladin's Quest Lennus map a submission that's ready to go for me to put up in the next update?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:16:47 pm »
Thanks you guys! :D

Yep, it's my first big one. It actually pushed me to work in Photoshop instead of Paint because early on I found when piecing together big chunks that a lot of inconsistencies showed up, so I pretty much had to start over again. XD

Heheh, interesting synchronicity! Once I get some of these projects out of the way, I might take on what remaining maps need to be done for FF4 or FF6, if no one else beats me to them. ;)

The map is all ready to go, so go right ahead. :)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:59:13 pm »
What the hey, I put it up just now.  Check to see if the credit/email link is correct.

I was aware of the game's north-south split, but I didn't realize, or don't remember, that there is all that stuff in the east.  Interesting.  There's an island and rock formation that looks like it's one of Asmik's mascots (I'm guessing).

What's that "BGM/SE Test" in the northeast, north of Doubor?  Is that the location of an item that gives you a music/sound test?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:20:46 pm »
Checked them and they're okay.

The in-game map enlarges from just the continents to the entire world once you get the ship in Reiyold. I was always curious what that formation was all about, so maybe that's it.

There's a house behind those mountains that's only accessible when you have the ship, and as it says, it's a music/sound effects test room. Since it's hidden, I didn't bother indicating what was there. Though now that I think about it, maybe a transparency would be more appropriate.

Offline DepecheMike

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 11:13:52 am »
Looks fantastic! I love RPG maps but I don't think I've got the guts to try and do one :)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:02:01 pm »
Thank you! I find them a lot of fun to stitch together. :)

Currently working on adding all the item labels to the rest of the maps, so they should be all done in a few days or so.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:03:35 am »
Okay, they're up!  Awesome work, FlyingArmor!  Thanks for submitting them.  I love 16-bit RPGs!  And this one was one of the more unique-looking ones, so I'm glad someone was able to map it, and label it, too.

You listed the Island Of Daphne, the Ancient Ruins, and the Crystal Maze in your order listing but didn't send them.  Are those among the ones you said were still coming?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:54:45 am »
Thank you. ^__^ Part of the allure of mapping this game (aside from having a tool that allowed me to walk through obstacles... ;) was for the art. I had struggled a long while over whether or not to have labels at all, especially for the world map, because they'd just cover up the awesome artwork, heheh. But I'm glad I found a way of incorporating them without them sticking out overly much.

Yeah, those ones are still coming. I wasn't sure if I should've taken them off the list or not, but I decided not to; I should've said something about that in the e-mail. :)

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 08:28:11 am »
Art games are awesome.  I think to many people have enough appreciation for them.  I don't think I'd call either Lennus a pure art game, but almost every part of both is artistically unique and more games need to be like that.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 10:07:08 am »
If they were pure art games, they wouldn't be very playable, now would they? hahah :) I think one of the most refreshing things about it is that it isn't some Tolkien-esque high fantasy clone; there are way too many of those.

On a somewhat related note, got back to playing Lennus II yesterday. I had to stop myself from taking screen shots wherever I went (Eltz in particular)... I didn't want my first playthrough to be some mapping exercise! lol

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:03:10 pm »
I thought Lennus II was a little tougher.  Buff your magic or you won't survive the last couple of dungeons.

I don't know how many pure art games I've played but great atmosphere and originality are always a plus.  Hey, now that you're on vgmapper, want to put your Paladin's Quest maps up there too?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 05:21:54 pm »
Of what spirits I do have so far, most have already reached their maximum level. With nearly all the bosses I've encountered, I cast a spell and it deals 2000-3000 damage on average. XD

Yeah, I think I will some time when I'm not so busy.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 08:46:23 am »
Yeah I remember when it was that easy too, believe me it doesn't stay that way.  Remember the Sleeper's in the first game?  There's a new magic damage only version of them that's a total pain in the ass.

Great, email them to me when you get the chance.