Author Topic: Super Metroid on the SNES  (Read 17995 times)

Offline snesmaster

Super Metroid on the SNES
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:30:19 pm »
Hi, a while back I mapped out the introduction area of the game, I am now working on mapping out the rest of the game.  It will take a while to finish, but it's underway.

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
Re: Super Metroid on the SNES
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:12:47 pm »
Yay..

Let's party like it's 1999 again..

Can ya tell I'm excited about this??

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:54:16 pm »
How you doing on your nightmare sized project here?  I made a couple of codes if you're interested.
7E00B1** Controls horizontal camera position.
7E00B3** Controls vertical camera position.
They're a little sensitive but the do let you see into otherwise inaccessible areas.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »
Personally, I think the easiest way to do this would be using SMILE's export to bitmap function.

Offline Trop

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:02:07 am »
The new maps look great.  A word of warning on Maridia.  When I did it I completely screwed it up.  The water transparency is a different transparency in each room and must be recaptured each time.  Sometimes it's a yellow sometimes a green sometimes a purple.  Each transparency is customized to it's room's colors, unlike in Crateria.

Offline Rew

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:00:32 am »
These Super Metroid maps are looking great--and now only Tourian is left!

I just got finished playing the game this weekend--and for the first ever (for me) beat it in under 3 hours for the best ending. =D
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 06:33:57 pm »
Any chance we can get a full map rather than having all the areas separate? As I've found with Castlevania: SotN, some people like more manageable pieces while others want everything in one.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:24 pm »
Hi, It's been a little over a year since I took on this project and I finally have mapped all the areas in the game.  I do plan on putting them all together into one big map shortly.

I cheated in the Maridia area, because I could not find a Photoshop filter that would work with the water layer.  For all the other areas Photoshop had the perfect filter for water and lava that looks almost identical to the game.  However nothing was even close for the way they did the Maridia area.  So I just left the water out... to make the map more clear and legible :)

Some point I would like to get the water in there, but at this time I don't see how to do it.  At least not without spending another year just on that part :)

As an added note, I did use SMILES export to bitmap function.  However I needed to recapture most of it using vSNES to get the transparent areas to insert the backgrounds.  However SMILE did help give me a template to work with.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:35:11 pm by snesmaster »

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44:56 pm »
I had the same problem in Maridia.  I did manage to figure out that there are several different colors of water transparencies in Maridia, depending on the color of the room, and that some of them of work when inverted.  But others I couldn't get at all.  I also left out the wave distortion and I couldn't really figure out those background waterfalls either.  Maridia sucked in retrospect.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 08:49:41 pm »
Any chance we can get a full map rather than having all the areas separate? As I've found with Castlevania: SotN, some people like more manageable pieces while others want everything in one.

I just uploaded a full map.  It is 20 MB in file size.  PNGGauntlet does not know how to compress a PNG that large.  If anyone knows of a way to compress it better let me know.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:47:12 am »
PNGOUT can't do it because the image is too large and in an unsupported format. pngcrush and optipng seem happy to compress it, albeit slowly, so far I'm seeing about 25% size reduction.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:38:59 am by Maxim »

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:23:04 pm »
PNGOUT can't do it because the image is too large and in an unsupported format. pngcrush and optipng seem happy to compress it, albeit slowly, so far I'm seeing about 25% size reduction.

Thanks, I used optipng and got it compressed down to 13.9 MB (14,600,714 bytes). That's a lot better then 20 MB.  I could not get pngcrush to work.  It just opens a DOS window and then closes.  I was able to drag the file to compress on to optipng and that did the job.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:11 am »
PNGOUT, optipng and pnggrush are all commandline programs and only the first two do anything reasonable when you drag/drop onto them. Still, the result is as good as you can get from a complicated commandline anyway.

Offline Revned

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 02:22:04 pm »
Thanks for the great map! I've been waiting years for a full resolution map of this game.

I didn't have any problems using PNGOUT on it. Got it down to 12.8 MB. Mailing to Jon.