Author Topic: Solar Winds 1 - What I have so far  (Read 10652 times)

Offline Mikemc

Solar Winds 1 - What I have so far
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:31 pm »
Solar Winds 1 (Dos)
Because the stars are loaded randomly in each sector, this makes it very difficult to do a proper, full size map of the galaxy. However through trial and error I have determined the following measurments:

Each sector is 224 x 224 pixels
The minimap updates 4 times per sector, or every 56 pixels on the main view.
The first zoomed out map moves at 1 pixel per sector, which gives planets, stars and debris a max 56 pixel margin of error.
The Outter Rim varies (because it's shrinking) but I found the lower edge to be around -1200 and the right edge is as far as 4000!
So the map is somewhere around 5900 x 2900 sectors or 1,321,600 x 649,600 pixels!

Does that sound acurate?

- Mike
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:53:15 pm by Mikemc »

Offline Will

Re: Solar Winds 1 - What I have so far
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:29:59 am »
Incredible information if that is the case. Solar Winds I have estimated is one of the ultimate hard to map games in existence. If it were mapped, I'd hope there was a coordinate grid of some sort to correctly indicate the coordinates. There are five locations of interest in the first episode that I know of: Jake Stone's galaxy, the Rigian galaxy, the miniture galaxy in between, the warp hole and the place at the other side of the warp hole. Sometimes I wonder if there's anything secret in the emptiness of space. I would also like it if the barriers that destroy you and prevent you going any further are indicated. I've never seen a map of Solar Winds at all. If anyone's going to volunteer it would be a first timer.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:39:01 am by Will »

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:26:39 pm »
IMO, maps for the Solar Winds games wouldn't be very interesting.  There are only a handful of planet and ship sprites and things are spread out pretty far, especially with the second game.

Offline Mikemc

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 03:13:55 pm »
Yeah, I suppose an exact-to-scale map would be a bit much, although it might make a good mural :).
How about just the minimap or first level zoom with Sensors at max? That may work.

- Mike

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:29 am »
Have you considering doing it in a vector format?  If you did it that way you could put the planets and objects in and then worry about scale later. Yeah, you wouldn't have the graphics from the original game, but like I said previously, they aren't that spectacular anyway.