Author Topic: E3 2010  (Read 21220 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
E3 2010
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:46:33 am »
This is the topic to discuss E3 2010 announcements as they happen this week!

...Mostly because several gaming web sites are blocked at work, but now my site is unblocked, so I can be up-to-date by following the postings here if I can't wait to get home.

All I know so far is that Microsoft's Project Natal is now called "Kinect", and Rare has a Wii-Sportsesque game for it...yeeeeeaaah, okay.

EDIT: Didn't realize it at the time, but this is apparently the 11111st post on these forums.  :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:14:43 pm by JonLeung »

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
Re: E3 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:34 pm »
Well, didn't see a Rare game today, but I think I may be cutting a rug thanks to Harmonix. LOL or not... The guy demonstrating it still looked stiff as a board. White man still can't dance even with the help of a video game.

The new xbox slim is cool looking. Looking forward to Halo Reach and Gears 3. Metal Gear Rising looks cool but reminds me of the sword play in Wii Sports Resort, the game where you see who can slice faster. You can slice multiple times in that game if you are fast enough. The Call of Duty stuff looks great too. Can't wait to play it.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:52:31 pm »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:58:06 pm »
I was just about to post that!  Well, at Kotaku, anyway.

I love GoldenEye as much as the next guy (it's also my favorite Bond movie and the first I saw in theaters, and one of the few movies I ever saw twice in a theater), and as a Nintendo fan I think it's cool that it's going to be exclusive to the Wii, but at the same time, I dunno...the game was great at the time, but is there anything new here now other than Daniel Craig's likeness in place of Pierce Brosnan's?  And why replace it, anyway?  They kept Sean Connery's in From Russia With Love, didn't they?

Ah, well.  I'll probably still play it and still put proximity mines in the Facility's urinals again anyway.  (I wonder why my friends even came up into the bathroom.)  Or get back into my throwing-knife groove again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:10:11 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Will

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:23:50 pm »
I've never like Daniel Craig and his cruddy acting. Pierce Brosnan shows more serious and believable acting. Making a new Goldeneye game is no surprise. They just a made a Goldeneye game for Playstation 1. It is weird that they should inserted all characters from different decades into the game from Oddjob to Jaws, who have absolutely no connection to each other. I don't think they fully realised what they were doing during the development of the game. They might as well remake Data East's old Arcade Platformer, Sly Spy (otherwise known as Secret Agent).

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:38:34 am »
Well, they were characters in the original GoldenEye, so I guess they wanted to bring back fan favorites.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:20:19 am »
Yup, those guys were in the original N64 version.  And with some GameShark codes I think the other Bonds were available, too, I think they weren't OFFICIALLY in there due to rights to using those actors' likenesses.  Maybe that's why Daniel Craig is in this one, but hopefully they don't go replacing everyone else too!  And yet they have no problem with Jaws and Oddjob and the like.

Anyway, since the supremely big gaming sites are all blocked at work, I'll be checking the Nintendo conference news on The Tanooki at http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/06/15/e3-2010-nintendo-press-conference-live-blog/ and then possibly hit up Wikipedia on my lunch break.  I can't wait until I get home for this kind of info!  And plus, I'm busy today after work anyway.  :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:22:04 am by JonLeung »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:15 am »
Hooooooooooooooly cow. That was so amazing.

Nintendo 3DS
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kid Icarus Uprising

<3

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »
It was an awesome show. I'm pleased.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:34:55 pm »
Oh man, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Star Fox 64 3DS remake
new Paper Mario 3DS
Animal Crossing 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS

<3<3<3

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »
I'm pretty stoked about the 3DS.  It's a Nintendo handheld, so of course.  But I'm also surprised at the support and third-party games already announced for it.  I haven't seen any pictures or video of any games yet (stupid work filters), but I'm already excited!

How was Zelda?  I'll have to find pics and vids of that too, but my lunch hour is almost up.  It doesn't sound like it's as impressive as a new handheld, but as a Zelda fan I'm sure I'll like it...when I can play it...next year!?  Then again I shouldn't be surprised, this is Nintendo we're talking about.  :P

The Sony press conference is going on right now, isn't it?  I'd like to know if they can even come close to topping the 3DS...or if they have [insert E3 2006 Internet meme here] again.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »
Zelda is Zelda. Its cell shaded again. But more detailed. The controls looked wonky on stage but reports from the floor say its flawless. Enemies require you to slice in a particular way to kill them. Think Wii Sports Resort.

Sony was meh. Nothing unexpected (other than Gabe Newell walking out on stage and eating crow). David Jaffe introduced Twisted Metal which he denied way too often wasn't coming. Move is expensive, as much as Kinect if you want two people to play. $80 per controller set. Plus the camera... ouch.

Sony talked about 3D, but its all on TVs no one will have for the next 5 years. Everyone in the audience got glasses to wear for Killzone 3. Looks like Killzone 2 to me though. Nothing new for the PSP, no new hardware redesign or new iiteration.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:10:05 pm by bustin98 »

Offline Revned

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 03:28:20 pm »
Ocarina of Time 3DS. I'm sold.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 09:25:50 pm »
Holy cow, so much amazing stuff.

"One of the more surprising of the tech demos was something called "Classic Games." In this interactive but nonplayable demo, you could cycle through 18 different pixel-perfect NES and Super NES games and see them reprocessed in 3D. Basically, all the sprites and backgrounds have been pulled forward or pushed backwards to provide the appropriate illusion of depth using the stereoscopic LCD of the system.

"The list of games in this collection included Mario Bros., Tennis, Super Mario Bros. The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Musasame, Punch-Out!!, Excitebike, NES Open Golf, Twin Bee, Super Mario World, Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Urban Champ, Kid Icarus, Yoshi's Island, and Smash Ping Pong."

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:45 am »
When E3 is going on, I always like to see how many Nintendo characters/franchises are coming out...

Mario - Mario Sports Mix (Wii), Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS), Paper Mario 3D (3DS), Mario Kart 3DS (3DS)
Zelda - The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D (3DS)
Pokémon - Pokémon: Black Version (DS), Pokémon: White Version (DS), Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs (DS), PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (Wii)
Yoshi - Mario Sports Mix (Wii), Mario Kart 3DS (3DS)
Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii), Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS), Mario Sports Mix (Wii), Mario Kart 3DS (3DS)
Metroid - Metroid: Other M (Wii)
Star Fox - Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
Kirby - Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
Wario - Mario Sports Mix (Wii), Mario Kart 3DS (3DS)
Kid Icarus - Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Fire Emblem - Fire Emblem: Hero Of Light And Shadow (DS)

I'm not holding my breath for any Mother games, but where's F-Zero?  (Maybe one day there will be a port of F-Zero X or GX for the 3DS...or better yet, an actual new game...)

And besides those franchises featured in Super Smash Bros., there're also:

Wii Series - Wii Party (Wii)
Animal Crossing - Animal Crossing 3DS (3DS)
Professor Layton - Professor Layton And The Unwound Future (DS), Professor Layton And The Mask Of Miracle (3DS)
Nintendogs - Nintendogs + Cats (3DS)
Golden Sun - Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)
PilotWings - PilotWings Resort (3DS)

That's a healthy amount.  Even without the Mario/Yoshi/DK/Wario repeats and 3DS ports.

As for the 3DS, hopefully it comes out this year.  I thought I heard it was supposed to come out this fiscal year (which ends in March), at least back when we first heard about it this past March.  It would make sense to release it before Christmas instead of after.  And they shouldn't wait 'til next year if they can help it while they're ahead of the competition.  And not just because the whole world is salivating for it now.  :P

And the Vitality Sensor?  The mystery is still there...or maybe it flatlined...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:27:56 am by JonLeung »