Author Topic: VGMaps + Gameplay Footage = ???  (Read 47308 times)

Offline NESAtlas

VGMaps + Gameplay Footage = ???
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:12:31 am »
Hello atlas makers!

After stumbling across your great site I had the idea to track gameplay footage over various maps and the end results turned out better than expected...

See for yourself on my YouTube Page.

I hope you don't mind  :)

I've made 8 videos so far and I figured it was time to make you guys aware of what I was doing. I'd love to hear what you think and if you have any requests on what you'd like to see next then let me know.

PS: I was going to make one for RC Pro Am, but it turns out This Map is missing some track section... just thought you'd like to know  ;)

Offline StarFighters76

Re: VGMaps + Gameplay Footage = ???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:43:29 am »
I just watched a couple videos, and I must say that is beyond awesome. It gives the player a general idea of what's gonna be played out through the game so they can plan out their own strategy in comparison to the player's gameplay. Only downside is the characters are too small to see, so keeping an eye on them while viewing the rest of the map can be a bit tricky.
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »
Very cool! Reminds me of that new multiplayer Castlevania game. May I ask how you combined the videos with the maps?

Offline NESAtlas

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:46:03 pm »
Very cool! Reminds me of that new multiplayer Castlevania game. May I ask how you combined the videos with the maps?

I used After Effects and basically shift the video over the map frame-by-frame as the player progresses.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:45:02 am »
I saw most of these videos a couple weeks ago but forgot to mention it here.

Pretty neat stuff.  I like how you applied the flash (when Mother Brain is defeated) to the rest of the screen in the Metroid speedrun one, which I think is your newest video.  I think we'd all like to see more.

There's just something neat about seeing the whole area during gameplay action, as if they were continuous places that exist even outside the protagonist's field of vision.

And Revned, I think that multiplayer Castlevania game, Harmony Of Despair, increased the site's hits around E3 by a decent percentage, probably because of one blog review that mentions VGMaps.com that was linked to everywhere, but also because of your massive Symphony Of The Night map.  :D

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 12:35:05 pm »
That's the smallest zoom scale of gameplay I have ever seen in a game. This stuff is fantastic! ;D

I'd like to see any version of Prince of Persia 1 being played like that. The game is a classic, do design a video for it, if you've got time. 

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »
It's kind of like watching a stage play from several hundred yards away.  I dunno, it's a cool visually, but not sure if it's useful.

Reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d82j_Qfp_VA

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:24:03 pm »
Pretty awesome. It takes the "you are really exploring this big world" feeling that maps give and puts it in motion.

I wish it could be done easily with SNES games, but the parallax backgrounds kind of ruin that. The ground would look the same, but the background would stand out as a big clashing box.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline NESAtlas

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »
I saw most of these videos a couple weeks ago but forgot to mention it here.

Pretty neat stuff.  I like how you applied the flash (when Mother Brain is defeated) to the rest of the screen in the Metroid speedrun one, which I think is your newest video.  I think we'd all like to see more.

There's just something neat about seeing the whole area during gameplay action, as if they were continuous places that exist even outside the protagonist's field of vision.

And Revned, I think that multiplayer Castlevania game, Harmony Of Despair, increased the site's hits around E3 by a decent percentage, probably because of one blog review that mentions VGMaps.com that was linked to everywhere, but also because of your massive Symphony Of The Night map.  :D

I always try to expand the gameplay visuals to fullscreen whenever possible like when defeating Mother Brain. I've also done this with my Mega Man videos during each stage intro. Ultimately I'd like to show animation to offscreen enemies as well.

Offline NESAtlas

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 09:10:09 am »
I could use a volunteer to help make a good background and/or user icon for my youtube page.

If interested it needs to meet the following criteria:

Advertises VGMaps.com somehow (cuz I obviously couldn't make these videos otherwise!)
Attributes to creator any maps shown
Width at least 1420 pixels wide
Center section 960 pixels wide
Height at least 2400 pixels high
Preferably .PNG format
Feel free to also put your name on there if you want!

Also, I'll let whoever helps with this choose a video they'd like me to make! One for the background and another for a cool icon :)

Here's what my current background looks like.

Any takers?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:12:14 am by AndyDick »

Offline Will

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:48:34 am »
As a suggestion to design your YouTube page, I think you should extract all your favourite game sprites (preferably playable characters, side characters, monsters, bosses etc), frame them with borders and place them all together in the style of a royal portrait gallery. That ought to brighten up the page and give the impression its all about video games.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 02:58:17 pm »
I liike BlackLeotardFront's name for MetaFilter's mention of your videos...  "ROM With A View".  Now that's clever!  Also some interesting comments on that same link there.

I approve of anything that gets VGMaps more attention, of course.  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:59:15 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 03:01:20 pm »
Those were great. I've never played Zelda II (:-[) so I was rather lost as to what was going on, but fun to watch nonetheless. And the Marble Madness one was certainly madness. :P

Nice job.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!