Author Topic: Transformers: Prime  (Read 20981 times)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
Transformers: Prime
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:46:07 pm »
New cartoon, computer generated, focus on G1. Details are supposed to be released during the San Diego Comic Con. Peter Cullen and Frank Welker return as Optimus and Megatron. More info can be found here: http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1104749p1.html

Can't wait for some pics!

Offline StarFighters76

Re: Transformers: Prime
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »
From what I know, it (like War For Cybertron) is suppose to be a prequel to G1. My problem with War For Cybertron is that while it is nice to have some idea of what happened prior to G1, I would rather the story be told from G1's perspective instead. It's like we waited 25 years to find out what happend before G1. In which case, War For Cybertron has lots of contradictions to G1 (plot-wise, character-wise), even though the story itself is good (although the Decepticons story does sound very credible).

I have a feeling TF:P will be like that. The story itself will probably be great, but connecting it to G1 is gonna be a problem I think. But on the downside, seeing how the beginning of "More Than Meets The Eye" made it appear as the Autobots was losing, struggling for survival, I'd hate to see that as the ending for TF:P.
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:48:34 pm »
I thought War For Cybertron was okay, but kind of short, and there are still contradictions between the G1 cartoon continuity.

I'm pretty sure the Marvel and Dreamwave comics had Sentinel Prime before Optimus Prime, but Zeta Prime now is?  I got the first IDW comics collection, and in Spotlight: Blurr, they mention a Zeta Prime, but I don't see what would've been so wrong with keeping the Prime legacy.  Not that anyone really cares about any Primes before Optimus, I'm just saying the convolution is unnecessary.

While the means of Prime acquiring the Matrix Of Leadership were certainly less epic in the War Within comics, I think, overall, I prefer War Within over War For Cybertron.  It's too bad War Within Vol. 2 was a convoluted mess that introduced (but didn't explain) The Fallen, and that Vol. 3 never finished, so just pick up a copy of Vol. 1 and pretend that's all there is to it, since it works fine as a standalone story.  :P

I thought I saw a promo image of Transformers: Prime before, where Bumblebee looked a lot like his movie incarnation.  Is that still the style?

I wish Mainframe (now Rainmaker) would do a CG G1 Transformers.  They did a good job with Beast Wars, and they knew their G1.  Certainly computer graphics have improved since then and they'd be animating metal and plastic at right angles (or at least, more defined angles) more than fur and flesh in rounder shapes anyway, so it would look good...wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:51:06 pm by JonLeung »

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Marvel and Dreamwave comics had Sentinel Prime before Optimus Prime, but Zeta Prime now is?  I got the first IDW comics collection, and in Spotlight: Blurr, they mention a Zeta Prime, but I don't see what would've been so wrong with keeping the Prime legacy.  Not that anyone really cares about any Primes before Optimus, I'm just saying the convolution is unnecessary.

Yeah but wasn't Alpha Trion the one who passed the Matrix down to Optimus Prime according to G1 (specifically "Five Faces Of Darkness Part 4")?

And after seeing the Sentinal Prime in TFA, I dunno if I could handle seeing that name again, even if in any other series he wasn't nearly as much of a pompous ass monkey.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:40:34 pm »
War For Cybertron is only G1 in the general sense that it features the usual G1 characters in a generic G1 setting, so don't bother looking for discrepancies regarding how it doesn't fit exactly with any existing cartoon or comic series. I was about to post a detailed list of everything that G1 technically refers to, but it's actually much easier to point to this page on the TF Wiki.

As for Transformers: Prime, I'm actually looking forward to it, provided they don't give up on it after a few seasons like they did with Animated. The simple fact that it's being  produced in the US means it will automatically be 10 times better than anything Japan has given us over the last decade (at the very least).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:55:53 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:46:30 pm »
Since I lack cable, I was not able to watch the Animated series. I also miss out on Batman Brave and Bold. I will also miss out on this Prime series. But if its good I will get the dvd release.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:26:52 am »
Since I lack cable, I was not able to watch the Animated series. I also miss out on Batman Brave and Bold. I will also miss out on this Prime series. But if its good I will get the dvd release.

I'm gonna probably download episodes, since I don't have cable either. That's how I was able to watch Animated (which is a great series).

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 02:13:07 pm »

I'm gonna probably download episodes, since I don't have cable either. That's how I was able to watch Animated (which is a great series).

If you want the whole series, downloads are your only option. They're sadly not going to release Season 3 on DVD, and the pilot as well as Season 1 and 2 are already out of print.

Oh, that reminds me! If anyone in this thread is a fan of Animated, IDW has released two incredible books called The Allspark Almanac Vol. 1 & 2. They basically contain everything there is to know about the series: episode and comic guides, character profiles, lots and lots of character/props/location design sheets, plus lots of humor and references to other TF and science-fiction series. Heck, Volume 2 will apparently contain the outline for the unrealized Season 4 as well as exclusive pictures for a Megatron triple changer prototype that would have been so cool to get... I'm waiting for my Volume 2 myself which will be arriving tomorrow!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:15:41 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:59:17 pm »
Breaking news! The San Diego Comic-Con 2010 features a giant sized Transformers: Prime Optimus Prime in robot mode, which you can see here!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:00:07 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:56:10 am »
If you want the whole series, downloads are your only option. They're sadly not going to release Season 3 on DVD, and the pilot as well as Season 1 and 2 are already out of print.

I think it's silly in this day and age when a TV series isn't released in its entirety in a DVD/Blu-Ray format.  Kind of ridiculous to stop putting things on DVD if they're all already on DVD except the last season.

I want to give Animated another chance, when I find time to watch it, but then I want it in a nice box set.  All or nothing.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:45:49 am »
You know Terra, I just had to click through the rest of the pics...

Cheesy Poofs!

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:47:51 am »
Breaking news! The San Diego Comic-Con 2010 features a giant sized Transformers: Prime Optimus Prime in robot mode, which you can see here!

Wow, G1 with some curve action going on. Sorta of a cross between G1 and Animated Prime. Can't wait to see the others.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 06:24:48 pm »
A little something more:

*Picture no longer available*

**EDIT**

Ok, so that image is gone, but I have a whole gallery to show you now:

http://shortpacked.com/blog/transformers-prime/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:35:19 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »
I don't see it.

IGN has a test reel. When did Bumble Bee become this warrior guy, other than the movies? He was always the kid brother looking up to Optimus and Iron Hide.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »
A little something more:

*Picture no longer available*

**EDIT**

Ok, so that image is gone, but I have a whole gallery to show you now:

http://shortpacked.com/blog/transformers-prime/

Definitely do not like Arcee, she looks like some kind of bat bot. Megatron, stingray/hammerhead jet mode? And the name Troopers sounds more like a grunt foot solider name (like the Sweeps). Others looks decent though.