Author Topic: The Lion King (SNES)  (Read 22122 times)

Offline Grizzly

The Lion King (SNES)
« on: June 19, 2006, 07:10:54 am »
Finally I've finished that difficult seventh stage, so here's a map of it for your viewing pleasure.

User posted image

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sdestiny5vd.png

I hope that the rest of the game (three stages) will  be easy so that it won't take too long anymore.

PS: I still miss the possibility to write in colours or to use link images.

Offline Revned

RE: The Lion King (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:59:04 am »
Very nice looking map. I really like the starry background.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:31:57 pm »
Thanks! :)

To make a big starry background was the easiest way how I could expand the original background image to fit the whole map:

User posted image

I also tried to do something with the bottom jungle but it didn't look good, so I kept it unchanged for the big map.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 04:07:17 pm »
That looks really great Grizzly! I really like the way you rework the gradiant in the backgrounds to both expand them *and* make them look much better :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 05:55:16 pm »
TerraEsperZ Said:
That looks really great Grizzly! I really like the way you rework the gradiant in the backgrounds to both expand them *and* make them look much better :)

Hmmm, I remember a discussion TerraEsperZ had with, I think wileee, as far back as the PIGN boards, about changing things for aestheticism.  While I'd be hesitant to alter foreground elements, Grizzly is making a compelling case for background elements.

Awesome job!

Hey, that's weird...I was the last one to post here but the recent posts thing says Terra was...

EDIT: Never mind...I apparently "fixed" it by deleting it and reposting...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 06:21:15 pm »
I've changed my stance on the subject of authenticity somewhat. Whenever possible, I prefer not to alter the foreground, that is the stage itself. Add to it if needed, no problem, like trying to fill in portions of the map left empty by the game's developpers. Remove garbage or elements linked to programming that don't really make sense on a map, certainly (for example, I personally wouldn't have included the two Bowser rooms in the last level of Super Mario Bros. 3; I've also corrected a tree sprite on one of my Oracle Of Seasons map).

What I have absolutely no problem with is for example, altering the background for convenience sake (and Revned, leaving the apostrophe out on that expression is apparently accepted, so no bitching please :P). God knows some games have backgrounds that won't tile at all, and I've had to do some creative editing for Sonic Advance, including removing some colors in one map because there was no way to make good-looking continuous tiles with them.

And while I was mapping Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon, I did an experiment where I tried to fill lots of empty space in order to make each "room" fit the 256 x 256 pixels template (some being as small as 240 x 160, I had to improvise) so it would look better, and I thus had to move a number of door by 8 or 16 pixels at times (and honestly, I still feel guilty about it :D)

As for Wileee, the discussion was about his Library map for Symphony Of The Night, where he changed a small part of both  foreground and background to fill an empty space in a stairway. I remember being quite vocally and perhaps unjustly *against* back then...

Okay, enough thread hijacking from me :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 03:04:16 pm »
Here's another update. I've nearly finished the game, only one map (which seems very small -> boss battle) is missing.

I used the same strategy for the background as on most of the other Lion King maps: leave the bottom and top of the original and expand it with a gradient. It gets quite easy and it will help alot in the future whenever I encounter a similar problem again.

Although I do not want to use it as the one-and-only solution because some variety is much better :)

User posted image

http://img282.imageshack.us/my.php?image=level09simbasreturn8cp.png

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 03:55:14 pm »
Very good. It doesn't look as good as the others but that's the game's fault. As for the label, they're very functional and go well with the map.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 08:20:32 am »
I see you've also mapped the NES version which looks incredibly, er, *interesting*... It must have been part of the last batch of NES games which for some reasons had some of the worst graphics ever. I guess they didn't bother to use the NES's graphical abilities to the max, instead turning out a game as fast as possible to capitalize on the movie's success.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 12:45:40 pm »
Yep, that version looks *interesting*. And it's so rushed, it even hasn't got all the levels but ends after the sixth one.

A pirate version of a Lion King for NES in fact does look much closer to the original than the officially licensed one, see this comparision: http://www.nesworld.com/ovp-lion.htm

But the smurfs game for NES looked quite good if I remember correctly (also came out in 1994). Maybe I will map that, too, once I continue on the GBA's remake of the SNES version - so that it's possible to see how well it looks in comparision. Well, maybe I will even continue very soon with the Smurfs because I haven't got a new project on task at the moment.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 01:53:06 pm »
I agree, it seemed like there were a lot of ugly NES games at the end of its life.  Many were made by small companies, but you'd think Disney and Virgin would know better.  According to GameFAQs, the NES version of The Lion King didn't come out in North America.  I mean, geez, that's two years before the N64.  Everyone's Super NESsing at this point.

The Super NES Lion King game looks really good, and the colour gradients are awesome.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 03:03:39 pm »

But it seems that I just was lucky with this game because such a method doesn't work for all games. It for example isn't possible to add colour gradients to the background of Rayman because they are looking like paintings. I will explain that soon in an own thread for that game. I think only stretching will work.