Author Topic: SUNSOFT - 'Trip World' request  (Read 20727 times)

Offline Zetta

SUNSOFT - 'Trip World' request
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »
Has anyone heard of, played, or even attempted to map out the 5 main platformer levels from Trip World before?

Trip World is a little-known gem from SunSoft for the original Game Boy. It is very cutesy and reminiscent of Gimmick! for the Famicom, but definitely easier. It's a very easy and short game with only 5 stages and almost no menacing enemies. But it's a very solid platformer nothing less.

I would love to see someone like WILL or TERRAESPERZ (who did a great job with GIMMICK!) do all 5 levels of this game.

THAT WOULD BE SWEET!! :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: SUNSOFT - 'Trip World' request
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 05:52:59 pm »
I've never played the game but I'm willing to give it a try. Just give me a few days though :)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Zetta

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:41:48 pm »
Thank you.

I wish you the best of luck on it. I heard it's very hard to find, but it's really a gem. Especially the soundtrack and wacky boss enemies.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:26:23 pm »
I'm finished with World 1 already, but I'd rather wait until they're all done before posting them. Shouldn't take too long ;)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Zetta

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:31 pm »
Thanks, T. You are the BEST!!!

:D

Offline Maxim

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:55:43 am »
Shouldn't take too long ;)
Famous last words... :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:51:06 am »
Famous last words... :)

I'll make you eat those words mister!
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 08:31:43 pm »
Quick question: There are a few items in this game that are hidden behind the scenery. Does anyone know how I can represent that fact visually? Using dithering when the backgrounds are so busy and have only 4 colours doesn't really work, and putting a light outline around hidden things would work *except* some other items that aren't hidden also have one.

Huh, help?
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:08:11 pm »
You've got me a little confused here.  Light outlines sound like the way to go but you don't want to use them because there are items that already have a light outlines in the game?  Or is it that you don't want to add light outlines to items that aren't hidden?  Maybe I should play this game myself.  You could just use a good old fashioned legend with a letter and numbering system.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:43:45 pm »
I hate having to resort to a legend. I prefer to let the map speak for itself by coming up with visual solutions to problems like this one, but it's not always easy, or even possible.

As for this game, there are some items for which the sprite has a light outline and some that don't. I don't want to use an effect to represent a specific condition if that effect that's already there but *not* for said condition. Anyway, I'll think of something, hopefully.

Incidentally, World 2 is fully mapped. The maps look good, but so far they don't have the variety of 'Gimmick!' nor do they have well hidden secret areas. A bit too straightforward for my taste.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:22:54 pm »
Perhaps you could give them a bit of color? As in, dither/fade them while giving them a light touch of red or whatever color you want. Just a thought.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Zetta

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 11:34:45 pm »
Perhaps you could give them a bit of color? As in, dither/fade them while giving them a light touch of red or whatever color you want. Just a thought.

That's a really good idea. Maybe he can use a light pink outline for the hidden items in question.

Most of the stages seem a little short or straight-forward with the exception of World 3 and the Final World. Incidentally, those two are my favorites.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:39:30 pm »
I'm finished with World 3 (placing enemies always takes me more time) and starting World 4. Incidentally, I went with a simple outline for hidden things. It wasn't worth it to add colours just for that and staying with the Game Boy's palette will help compress the maps even further.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 07:03:15 pm »
Finally done with this, though it wouldn't have taken as long if I didn't include the enemies in their starting position (as accurate as possible since cheat codes for regular Game Boy games don't seem to work at all in VBA-M, preventing me from freezing them). Anyway, I'd appreciate if those who have played the game would take a look and make sure I didn't forget anything, like a secret area or an enemy for example. A few of the later didn't always spawn when I ran in their direction at full speed so I'd rather be sure.

[LINKS AND THUMBNAILS REMOVED]

*EDIT 27/04/12*

I needed space in my free ImageShack account, so I've decided to remove the maps from this post. You can find them on VGMaps here.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:05:11 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Zetta

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 11:33:25 pm »
WOW! That was pretty quick.

Once again, you have really pulled through and did another great job ripping all five main world maps of Trip World. Thank you very much, TerraEsperz!

As far as I can tell, you did a great job with all of the item locations and starting enemy locations ..... including some of the stronger mid-boss-like enemies. Do you happen to know if there are any mid-point re-spawn entry points along each stage for when your character dies and continues? If you could point those out, that would be terrific.

Thanks Terra!!!!