Author Topic: I just finished a project and I have nothing to SHOW for it.  (Read 20880 times)

Offline Trop

I just finished a project and I have nothing to SHOW for it.
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:54 pm »
Because it's music:
http://www.vgmapper.com/SysN64/T/TonicTrouble.html

So I was wondering, how many people here map things other then maps?  I dabble in a lot of stuff but has anybody else ever done things like sprites, music, game art?

Offline DarkWolf

Re: I just finished a project and I have nothing to SHOW for it.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:39 pm »
I've ripped sprites, as well as compiled maps.  Have my own site, but these days I submit to TSR.

You posted some music from a game.  In terms of those types of projects, I started (and frequently neglect) VGMQ.  Also, due to experience with VGMQ, I have contributed to CVGM's library of music.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:50:22 pm »
I've "mapped" a few things besides actual game maps, but those were almost always in relation to a game I was mapping and none were ever really finished.

For example, after seeing your E.V.O. maps, I tried to do a sort of all-purpose evolution guide so that you could basically assemble any creature possible in the game from every era. It necessitated a lot of sprite and tile ripping to capture every possible body part, where to past the various sprites in relation to one another and in what order, but I only completed the first age and was partially done with the second.

Another (small) one I worked on while trying to map the third Legend of Kyrandia game Malcolm's Revenge (which I never finished sadly) was to assemble a family tree of the royal family. In Malcolm's room you find a family picture book that doesn't tell you everything outright but it turns out that Malcolm is closely related to the former King and his son Brandon who was the first game's hero. However, I never finished playing the game in the first place and apparently the various endings would have helped to patch the holes in the family tree left from reading the book.

Aside from that, I once had the (crazy) idea of converting Zelda II: The Adventures of Link's overworld to the style of the Oracle of Ages/Seasons games. I would have incorporated as much of the side-scrolling details on the map, thus making the whole world much smaller than the original but in a style more in-line with the mainstream 2D Zelda games. I never even got past the planning stage on that one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:54:07 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:43:16 pm »
I'm always amazed at how different ripping two kinds of media can be.  Even if they seem so similar.  Now when ever I see game credits that indicate one person handled more then one aspect of a single game I'm impressed.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:39:05 am »
I co-created and wrote a player for a ripped music format, ripped a bunch of games' music, and made a website that includes them:

http://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMs

Offline Trop

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:02:33 pm »
Oh so you made the SMS version of SNESMusic.org.  I've a tiny bit of sound ripping but most of my music are recordings.  Thank goodness for Audacity. 

Offline gRE3N744

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:09:24 am »
I started ripping sprites first and animating them, then moved on to mapping & ripping music/sound effects but most classic game music has already been ripped and uploaded to websites so I don't usually bother with it anymore. I've only ever mapped 1 or 2 credit reels. I'd do more but I rarely finish a game anymore, I have a hard time keeping interest. I have around 70 games that I started to map but lost interest and never finished.

I made the original Legend of Zelda overworld map for Warcraft III but I never finished the dungeon maps or the triggers to make it playable.

Offline Trop

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:13 am »
I started with sprites too, man that seems like a long time ago now.  If you never want to do whole games then don't.  There are a lot of games I only ever made one or two maps for.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 10:16:10 am »
On the other hand, I find if I don't do a whole series of maps or sprites I have a hard time coming back to finish it off.

Offline Trop

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:47 am »
No kidding.  Am I ever going to get back to Secret of Evermore or Tales of Phantasia?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
Oh so you made the SMS version of SNESMusic.org.
No, the rest of the site is mostly me too - I made the SMS version of everything :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 05:31:26 pm »
I started with sprites too, man that seems like a long time ago now.  If you never want to do whole games then don't.  There are a lot of games I only ever made one or two maps for.

I have soooo many unfinished map series it's not funny. Many of which I've never mentioned on the forum because I started out of curiosity or for the challenge, then gave up. Others have been shared in threads before losing interest or just giving up in frustration because of the amount of work or skills needed.

I just tend to not share incomplete projects unless I'm reasonably sure I'll be finishing them someday. I don't know, maybe it's just that I feel that I've failed somehow by not sticking to it to the end and I'd rather not admit it.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »
So Maxim, does Zophar's update their VGM's from you like they do for SFC's or PSF's from other sites?

Terra, you should post what you have.  Like I said I've got plenty of stand alones up.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:23:44 am »
Zophar's used to copy all our files but they fell behind many years ago.

Offline Trop

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 08:47:55 am »
Huh.  Maybe when they changed their look a while back they took you off the update list.  Still nice to know you're doing it.  All these things seem to be in the "if you don't do it no one will" category, that's why I ripped the music from Tonic Trouble.  Nobody who has the ability will ever rip it into USFs.