Author Topic: warriors of fate  (Read 10404 times)

Offline GHS

warriors of fate
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:39:33 am »
I am planing to map Capcom's warriors of fate arcade but I would like someone to translate the name of the rounds in the game.
can anyone help?

Offline Will

Re: warriors of fate
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »
This is what I could come up with gathering the symbols:

Round 1 ??技の戦い ー
Round 2 ??技の戦い 二
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
Round 9

The curvy font makes it difficult to distinguish the precise symbols. Use my findings to your advantage. I shall edit this post, when I get a chance to find more symbols.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:44 pm »
ROUND 1 博望坡の戦い 一 Battle of Bowang Slope I
ROUND 2 博望坡の戦い 二 Battle of Bowang Slope II
ROUND 3 新野城 Xinye Castle
ROUND 4 白河 White River
ROUND 5 長坂坡の戦い Battle of Changban Slope
ROUND 6 長坂橋 Changban Bridge
ROUND 7 赤壁の戦い 一 Battle of Red Cliffs I
ROUND 8 赤壁の戦い 二 Battle of Red Cliffs II
ROUND 9 華容道 Huarong Road

Here's what I came up with. I take it this game takes place in China, which is why all my text searching kept bringing me there. So I opted to translate the names of places into Pinyin, as opposed to the Japanese readings. Hope this helps you out!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:12:04 pm »
The Wikipedia article for this game has translations, and also mentions an English version of the game...

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 02:51:01 pm »
I found that article yesterday as well when I was looking into what this game was about. While the translations into English aren't that bad, some tend to be a bit too literal or downright incorrect.

The worst of them being the name of the 3rd stage being translated to "New Field Region". While the first two kanji literally do mean "New Field", since those two characters together specify a specific place, "Xinye" would be more appropriate in this case. It would be like translating Tokyo (東京) as "East Capital", or Hong Kong (香港) as "Fragrant Harbour".

The "Region" bit is a mistranslation though, of the character 城 which means castle. Whoever translated those stage names must've mistaken 城 for 域 which is the character that means range or region. They do look similar though so the mistake is understandable, but if this is a professional translator we're talking about here, then it's a pretty amateurish error to make.

Offline Trop

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 07:41:26 pm »
Hong Kong means fragrant harbour?   :D
I wonder how long it's been since it was actually a fragrant harbour.