Author Topic: Hey, Flying Armor.  (Read 14574 times)

Offline Trop

Hey, Flying Armor.
« on: October 05, 2013, 04:02:58 pm »
Could you translation this for me please?

Offline FlyingArmor

Re: Hey, Flying Armor.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:37:43 pm »
Sure, no prob. :)

チベリス [Chiberisu] Chiveris
ゴート [Gouto] Goat
ノイラート [Noiraato] Noirart
ミケアナ [Mikeana] Mikeana
コートロード [Coutoroudo] Court Road
マウリナ [Maurina] Maulina
ボルチネ [Boruchine] Boltine
ローバー [Roubaa] Robber/Robar/Lowbar
シルヴィシス [Shiruvishisu] Silvisis/Silvicis

The stuff in the [] is the romanization, the far right is my first impression of the names.

Not sure if ゴート has anything to do with goats, but it's either that or the straight romanization. I definitely wouldn't want to translate it as Gout though... :D

With ボルチネ, I'm gonna guess it's ボ (bo) and not ポ (po) there since it looks like two dashes above that character. It's the same with ローバー. For ローバー, without any context to go on, it's a little difficult to translate it with any confidence. There's a lot of possible translations for that one, so I gave three.

What game are these from, by the way?

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:10:58 pm »
They're town names from Albert Odyssey.  There's only that many so I thought I'd wrap up the game with the other bigger maps I already made.  I didn't think Ritchie's translations in his GameFAQs guide were accurate since some of his others aren't.
His were:
Chiberis
Goto
Noirato
Mikeana
Coatland
Maurina
Boruchine
Rover
Sylvisis

I suspect Sylvisis was meant to be Sylvant since it's full of elves like the Sylvant's of other games.  Oh, and there's a Cotland in Breath of Fire 2.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:29:38 pm by Trop »

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 10:31:51 pm »
Ah okay. I think I've played the first few minutes of that game, but I never actually played it properly; I just read the opening dialogue. :D

Hn, I see. His look alright too, though I'm not sure where he got Coatland from. If that were the case, it'd be written as コートランド. The rest reflect the Japanese pronunciation more or less. It's really tricky translating names like these into and making them look good in English however.

Looking back at them here's what I would revise:
チベリス Tiveris/Tiberis (a "Ti/Tee" sound is also likely here, though I'm sure people would want to pronounce those as "Tai")
ゴート Gote (pronounced like note, rote, tote)
コートロード Cotelode/Courtrode/Courtroad (this one is pretty tough...)
マウリナ Maurina
ローバー Rover (sounds better than the stuff that I came up with so I'd go with that)

You can go with Sylvant if you wish. These most likely all derive from the Latin silvanus, meaning "of the woods", which would make sense with how elves are traditionally portrayed as inhabiting forests and such.

On a side note, as I've been playing through Lennus II in Japanese, I've noticed many of the town names were slightly altered in the English translation, and I would say those changes were good calls. Maybe I'll do a write up comparing them some time.

Offline Trop

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:03:35 am »
Alright I'll use those.

They say good translations are also rewrites.  It makes sense if there's a cultural reference you'd only get because you grew up in that culture.  I still don't know what a daruma is supposed to be, and how would one translate fo shizzle?  Also there's little phonetic goofs; for example the flower petal filled town near the diamond mine in Illusion of Gaia called Freejia should probably be called Freesia after a flower that grows in South Africa.

Offline Trop

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »
Emails busted.  I'll post them here.  You can upload these Jon.
Tiberis

Offline Trop

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 01:49:26 pm »
Gote
Noirart
Mikeana

Offline Trop

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:50:46 pm »
CourtRoad
Maurina