Author Topic: Request: Road Runner's Death Valley Ralley Redo Maps  (Read 21766 times)

Offline LTIan

Request: Road Runner's Death Valley Ralley Redo Maps
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:06:54 am »
I just got a confirmation from Will that he has abandoned Road Runner's Death Valley Rally SNES Mapping Project. :(

Here's what he said:

"Hi! I've been extremely busy full-time. Sad to say, I have abandoned the SNES Road Runner. Sonic the Hedgehog styled games were never really my favorite sort of games to map, due to their lengthy structure and confusing points. I'm not likely to resume work on the project, but every now and then I'll find an opportunity to create more maps of some game. Cheers."

With Will now unable to continue Death Valley Rally, can anyone continue where he left off? Has anyone had any experiences with mapping from Sonic-like games?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:30:08 am by LTIan »

Offline LTIan

Re: Request: Road Runner's Death Valley Ralley Redo Maps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:20:09 pm »
Since Will's out of luck for mapping more maps from this game, would anyone else like to try?

Offline LTIan

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:14:58 pm »
Anyone at all?

Offline LTIan

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 07:03:22 pm »
Anyone? :(

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 06:29:01 pm »
You know I'm currently doing another game and I don't like to take on more than one game at a time but if no one shows up to complete this I'll give it a go. I played this game for a bit a long time ago when it came out and thought it was nice.

Offline LTIan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:11:14 pm »
Road Runner's Death Valley Rally is one of my favorite Looney Tunes games! :D

I usually have trouble finding all of the flags.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:15:57 am »
I second this request only because it is part of my request for maps from games featured on a cover of Nintendo Power; this game in particular was on the December 1992 cover.

(1992 was a great year for the magazine, if I recall correctly, that was the year with those Mario and Zelda comics (which I heard just yesterday, the latter are being rereleased in a compilation by Viz, though it was already in a compilation book before).  But I digress...)

There, is that the endorsement you want?  I think it's great if this game or that game or some other game is mapped, but anyone can only do so much and so I don't really think you should be bumping this topic every month until someone hears you...just saying.

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:01:56 pm »
I'll see what I can do about getting it mapped. I'm more than half way done mapping King Colossus (J) now.

As far as NP mag goes I have every issue from 1 all the way to the late 90's and a year or so issues from 2005+. After 2000 the mag went down hill. But give me some time LTIan I'll try to accommodate. I have that RR issue as well.

Cheers

Offline LTIan

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:32:41 pm »
Okie-dokie. :)

Offline LTIan

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 09:45:48 am »
Well, it looks like vorpal86's too busy with other things at the moment.

So...

would anyone else like to try mapping this game?

Offline LTIan

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:57 pm »
Anyone at all?

Offline LTIan

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 06:04:06 pm »
No one at all? :(

Offline Trop

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 09:39:30 pm »
I'll give you points for determination LTIan but this game is just too hard.  Each map would be hundreds and hundreds of screenshots, there would be error fixing that could be hundreds more.  It would be a mountain of work for maps that only you would ever look at.  If by some luck there was a code that could a allow Road Runner to move around the stage at will ignoring walls and gravity then this would be a snap.  But as it is mapping this game would require every trick in the book from camera control codes to crazy tools.

Offline LTIan

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:30 pm »
Then I only have one request:

Can someone remove the Road Runner's Death Vally Rally maps on the site? :(

It's not a complete map collection if it's only just a few maps for one level/stage/world/episode.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:31:27 pm by LTIan »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 08:53:48 am »
I've faced that question before, where I wonder if incomplete map sets discourage a full map set because any other potential mapper might think the original mapper is still working on them but the original mapper may have already given up.  For instance, I don't think I'll ever go back and do the Simon The Sorcerer (PC) and Totally Rad (NES) maps that I started, but I would like to see those games mapped eventually.  Since I made those maps myself, I can justify taking them down for any reason.  But I won't, as I believe there's still some value in having those few maps up.

LTIan, you did not make the Road Runner's Death Valley Rally maps, so Will Mallia would have to concur with your sentiment and have him ask me directly to take them down.  I'm not going to remove any map just because someone else says it should come down, regardless of the reason, and this one is a reason that others could easily disagree with.

I would much rather have any and all maps up if possible, an incomplete map set may still be useful to someone.  I would hope if there's a question about the status of a map set that people are willing to discuss on these forums.

Also another point about these forums - I maintain that we should continue to have a Requests board, even if requests are rarely fulfilled, let alone on a timely basis - but though it sounds counter-intuitive, I would say that continuous bumping and rerequesting doesn't help...yes, I see these bumps are months apart, but still...

For what it's worth I'd like to see these maps too (though only because it is one of the games on my Nintendo Power cover game request, but there really aren't many good Looney Tunes games, sorry to say...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:52:15 am by JonLeung »