Author Topic: Changing the default print-screen key?  (Read 10326 times)

Offline RT 55J

Changing the default print-screen key?
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:18:21 pm »
Right now my current computer is a laptop. Like many laptops, it has a bit of a cramped keyboard. In my case, the print-screen key doesn't properly exist. To print screen, I have to press [FN]+Home, which are pretty much on opposite ends of the keyboard. In cases of twitch-action games outside of emulators, this ends up being quite cumbersome. How can I change this to something less annoying, like caps lock or something? (I'm using Windows 7.)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Changing the default print-screen key?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:33 pm »
To everyone still having a problem with Print Screen, and none of the proposed solutions work: I have your answer!

I recently bought a brand new laptop, and I'm running both Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. I'm a Simmer, and I was getting more and more frustrated that I could not capture the screen on my Sims game so I can share my CC. Nothing anyone on here said worked, and then I found this.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/easily-disable-vistas-aero-before-running-an-application-such-as-a-video-game/

It worked for me, and I hope it works for you all!

Close out of the program you are having trouble with capturing the screen.
Right click on the shortcut of the program on your desktop (in my case it's Sims 2 Apartment Life).
Click on Properties .
Click on the Compatibility tab.
In the middle area of that tab, there should be a bunch of check boxes under Settings. Click in the box alongsideDisable desktop composition.
Apply the changes, click OK.

Open up you program, press on your Print Screen (Prt Sc) button, open up a paint program, paste your image (Ctrl + C) and voilà! It should work! ^_____^

I just googled your problem and found the above solution. Give it a try and be sure to report your finding. I'm still running Vista and I'd like to know how to avoid this problem whenever I end up upgrading to Windows 7.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:14:36 pm »
That's a solution to a different problem than the one I was having. The print screen function works fine. It's just a pain to access on this laptop-keyboard.

I did a bit more searching around, and I found a workable solution. I found the program AutoHotKey, which can make customized hotkeys based off of scripts. After a bit of searching through the documentation/forums, I was able to get what I wanted:

Code: [Select]
CapsLock:: Send {Alt Down}{PrintScreen}{Alt Up}
Now, whenever I have the script active, pressing capslock takes a picture of the active window. This is much more convenient than pressing three keys at different parts of the keyboard.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:21:21 pm »
Yeah sorry, I committed one of the most basic Internet crime, which is "not reading all the way through" :(.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)