Author Topic: Super NES Classic Edition - full map set  (Read 27211 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Super NES Classic Edition - full map set
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:54:39 am »

ORIGINAL POST:

The Super NES Classic Edition was announced yesterday!  Time for another "let's map them all" request topic.

It comes as not much of a surprise, given the success of the NES Classic Edition last year, and the natural progression of moving on to the next console.

But this will also be crazy popular as it has some great games (even if "only" 21) including some of the greatest games of all time, plus the previously-unreleased Star Fox 2, and it comes with two controllers, and Nintendo plans to make more of these than the NES Classic.

As before, most have been fully mapped on VGMaps.com already, but not all.  At the time of writing this, all of them DO have some maps for them, with the exception of Star Fox 2.  This topic will track the progression to finishing these off, hopefully before its release date of Sept. 29.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:27:30 am by JonLeung »

Offline Revned

Re: Super NES Classic Edition - full map set
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »
Kirby's Rainbow Resort has most of the rest of the Kirby's Dream Course set:
http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/games/dreamcourse/level/

There are a few missing from Course 6, but these are from the same set as already here on VGMaps.

I've attempted to map them myself with the full backgrounds, but I couldn't ever come up with anything that looked decent since it's a single non-parallax screen. And just mapping the few missing levels without backgrounds seemed somehow unfulfilling...

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 05:02:44 am »
Devin Acker (Revenant) has programmed a level editor for Kirby's Dream Course, which makes ripping super easy.
https://github.com/devinacker/kdceditor

However, it only displays the tiles with the default palette, so that would need to be accounted for.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 09:06:40 pm »
Okay, we now have the rest of Kirby's Dream Course, thanks to G.E.R.!

From Kirby: Super Star, I think we're still missing the "Revenge Of Meta Knight" chapter... but I recall someone saying there's some technical challenge with this or something?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:53:37 am by JonLeung »

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 12:24:46 am »
I never played in Kirby:Super Star and I need some time on exploring this game.

Also, I found a level editor for Donkey Kong Country, it allows to visualize a level map, but without any objects and start/exit point

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 10:53:01 am »
If you haven't played Kirby: Super Star before, you should!  It's one of the better Kirby games, if not the best (though the DS remake, Kirby: Super Star Ultra, has even more stuff).

Each of the "games" within Kirby Super Star are different, so don't brush it off just because the first one, "Spring Breeze", is essentially a remake of the first Kirby's Dream Land.

As mentioned, we do have maps of almost all of it except for "Revenge of Meta Knight", which is one of the best games on there with the cool music and heavily features Meta Knight and his ship, the Halberd (which you might otherwise recognize from Super Smash Bros., especially "The Subspace Emissary" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl).

If it's not too much to ask for, with "The Great Cave Offensive", the treasure-hunting game, while we do have raw maps of it, I feel like they really should have the treasures marked and maybe even with the $ value of each one...

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 11:10:57 am »
I'm working on a maps for Kirby:Super Star (DS version) and I want to illustrate each level with all warps. I found that Meta Knightmare Ultra zone include all previous levels from other zones and I don't see differenses with it.

Can anyone explain what is this levels?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 03:59:53 pm »
I believe that mode just allows you to play past areas as Meta Knight.  I'm guessing you know that already since you submitted maps for Kirby: Super Star Ultra (DS).

Anyway, thanks to your submissions of the remaining Super NES maps for Donkey Kong Country and Kirby: Super Star, the Super NES Classic Edition is fully mapped!...

Well, except for the one "bonus" game, the previously unreleased Star Fox 2!  That one will be technically tricky.  But for the original we at least got the backgrounds and the map of the Lylat System.  Surely there must be something that can be grabbed out of Star Fox 2 that is of value here...

I also wonder now if there would be any interest to make request topics based around the NES and Super NES games available on the Nintendo Switch that are included with the online subscription.  A good number of repeats between the Classic Edition/Minis and the Switch apps exist, but the Switch apps do add games occasionally (used to be monthly for the NES, but ever since the Super NES one came out, the updates are not regular) so the topics themselves will also be updated now and then (not that that's difficult or frequent).

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 03:54:22 am »
I read about Star Fox 2 and I see, that this game was relise only for SNES Classic Edition in 2017. I see it's a short game and it include Lylat System as a level select zone and several missions. One planet = one mission.

Lylat System is a one screen area and it may be ripped for several minuts. It's easy.

For other missions I think that drawing an original schemes is only way to illustrate it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:09:12 am by G.E.R. »

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 12:01:32 am »
Do you intend to rip the backgrounds for Star Fox 2? I'm willing to do the same thing I did with the first game, but if you've already started i'll leave it alone.

Getting all the stage backgrounds except for the Secret Base will take less than an hour. Getting the Secret Base might take me a few days because i'd have to find all the Pepper Coins and i'm not very good at this game.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 07:01:19 am »
I don't planned to made it.
You can to rip it

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 09:07:28 pm »
As of just before 9 PM MST on April 24, 2020, we now have all the maps for the Super NES Classic Edition!

The last part was, unsurprisingly, maps of the previously-unreleased Star Fox 2.  The maps were submitted by zagato blackfist, who also sent in maps of the prototypes.  Thanks to everyone else that has contributed for the other twenty games too; this is quite the accomplishment!

Soon I tidy up the original post and make a feature thumbnail for the front page.

is there still interest in mapping these games that got a new lease on life?  If so, what's next?  The Genesis Mini?  There are also mini consoles for the Turbo Grafx-16, Neo-Geo, PlayStation and Commodore 64 now...  Or how about the Switch apps for the NES/Famicom and the Super NES/Super Famicom?  After all, there are already overlaps with the Classic Editions, so we're probably already mostly done (until/unless they add a lot more games, that is)...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:55:42 am by JonLeung »