Author Topic: Mega Man Maps  (Read 553797 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Mega Man Maps
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 06:13:04 pm »
I meant the same thing, though I forgot to mention it. Not being able to determine the starting point of most enemies in a game is why I never include them.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Zeric

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 12:55:36 am »
Then I will remove all the enemies except some that are necessary, like that squid on the island you need to knock down to open the hidden area.

Here is the part of MM8 I am having trouble with the backgrounds and it goes A LOT more lower then what I have already done.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2271/mm8wt1uq3.png

BTW what level do I need to be able to edit my posts and why does it always add
 when I click on preview message where I type my text?
Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 12:56:49 pm »
You could just enlarge and interpolate the background. Sure it won't be exactly like the original game, but that can't be helped. :P You also seem to be missing a portion of the background. Perhaps you could try ripping it from the ISO. It shouldn't be too hard, considering the fact most PS1 games use a filesystem IIRC.

To edit posts you need have 30 EXP.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 02:56:48 pm »
Zeric, about that background, if you can manage to complete that portion of the background, you could as a last resort, simply mirror that section vertically, and use that pattern to fill in the rest. It might not look all that good, but it wouldn't be horrible either and sometimes, we have to make compromises in such cases.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 01:40:39 pm »
The new enemy/object placement scheme sounds good - it will keep the maps from appearing cluttered.

I agree with Terra.  The background doesn't have to be perfect.

As a matter of fact, I would doubt that parallax backgrounds could ever be ripped perfectly.  For example, take the recurring clock tower on the Castlevania games.  There is no possible way to have the tower facing the "correct" direction because it is constantly rotating as the player moves.  Some compromise must be made to compensate for this

It is good to see some progress made.  Good luck with the rest.

P.S.

Thanks to whoever took out the stray tags out of my last post.  Crazy BB code. :)  

Man, 30 EXP before a person can edit their own posts?  At that rate, it may take me a while before I can update the list.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 07:58:14 pm »
Actually MarioMan (hope you don't mind the capital letters, I hate usernames written without them!), depending on the system, you sometimes can capture parallax backgrounds completely (for example, with Visualboy Advance, you can often fully capture every separate layer), though depending on how the game displays them, you can't always use them "as is", like in Zeric's case. Myself, I've had to make due with several games like Harmony Of Dissonance (with distorted 3D-style backgrounds like moving clouds, a fractal animation and that Clock Tower you mentionned which I cleverly rebuilt and made prettier than it ever looked in-game) and Sonic Advance (which had many backgrounds that didn't move or scroll at all, so I had to be very creative to make them tile both vertically and horizontally).

All in all though, it can be a nice challenge to overcome ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 10:30:10 am »
Any luck with the parallax and etc., Zeric?

And where's Geminiman (the mapper)?  Aside from the bosses in Mega Man 8, Pirate Man (from Mega Man & Bass) I believe is the only Robot Master whose stage isn't mapped, ironic considering that he won our Robot Master popularity contest over six months ago.

Offline marioman

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 04:33:14 pm »
JonLeung Said:

Aside from the bosses in Mega Man 8, Pirate Man (from Mega Man & Bass) I believe is the only Robot Master whose stage isn't mapped...

Correct.  Aside from the MM8 bosses, Pirate Man is the last Robot Master to be mapped for the "main stream" classic games.  Furthermore, if Zeric finishes the MM8 maps, then Pirate Man and King Level 1 (which is a very short level) will be the only levels left for the main stream games.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 01:07:02 pm »
After looking through the list again I just realized that Mega Man X has 13 maps left, not 10. Some stages change as a result of beating other stages.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 06:56:23 pm »
^ That is the case, but the changes are not very significant.  Sting Chameleon's stage just gets two holes filled with water, the electricity gets turned off in Spark Mandrill's stage, and the lava freezes in Flame Mammoth's stage.  I wouldn't think that those minor changes would be a reason to make separate maps.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 09:28:38 pm »
Yes, I know the changes are minor, but I still think they should be included in the maps somehow.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 05:25:27 am »
Update 1/29/07:

Yay!  I can finally edit posts again.  I added some new info and updated the status of Mega Man 8.

I found a two Mega Man Board maps at this site.  

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/nesteassprites/rockboard.html

I would think that this would be an easy rip.

We still have Mega Man & Bass and Mega Man X3 as our leaders in the race to completion.  It is strange that they haven't been finished up yet.

Offline marioman

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 07:28:07 am »
Update 2/18/07:

Geminiman has ripped two new Mega Man X maps.  (Boomer Kuwanger and Spark Mandrill.)  Hopefully this is a sign that he will be ripping maps more often.  Stay tuned.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 08:40:28 am »
Did I mention I used to be an email-pen-pal of Mandi Paugh of the Mega Man Home Page?  I met her when I was asking about DigiPen (the first college dedicated to video games), as she was the first female graduate there.  We talked about lots of stuff for a few years...I wonder why we stopped?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 10:03:10 am »
A great many years ago, when she still updated her site regularily, I managed to get a letter into her Megagrams column. Her Mega Man stories were the first fanfics I ever read.

*Edit*

Cool, I managed to find it! See how geeky I was even back then:

Dear Mandi,

I really, really love your Mega Man Books! I really like the way you included Captain N and the others... OK, let?s cut to the point.

1)In your books, is there any hope of ever seeing the ?hidden side? of the main caracters? By this I mean, like Mega Man threatening Dr Wily and meaning it (after all, he?s alive and like the rest of us, he too can be violent or cruel)? Also, any hope of ever seeing Dr. Wily actually helping the good guys without this profiting him, like in that story when he tells Mega Man where to find the hyper-gravity chip (almost out of gratitude)? Your characters are very good, but I find them a bit too ?good guys/bad guys?.

2)Any thoughts of making Roll a bioroid? I know, you probably don?t want that, but I think she?s a little too boring as she is presently...

Thanks for listening!

- TerraSPR

1) Oh yeah, Wily has tons of Light in him. It?s so much fun! Course, he won?t admit it. He might not even be aware of it. Mega Man is pretty much good. No getting around that, though of course he?ll still get angry, and he seems to have grown bitter in the later years. Bass, on the other hand, is a trip. If Break Man is Chaotic/Good then Bass is most certainly Chaotic/Evil... or maybe just chaotic, heh heh...

2) That comes later. ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)