Author Topic: Recovering Old Topics  (Read 30166 times)

Offline Revned

Recovering Old Topics
« on: April 23, 2006, 05:01:46 pm »
Through the magic of Google, I am now recovering 198 topics from the old board. They will look just like the old board did. Unfortunately, not all pages of some of the multi-page topics are there. Jon, would you be willing to dedicate a little bit of space on the site for these?

Offline Revned

RE: Recovering Old Topics
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:02:54 pm »
Oh, and Jon, can you email me a .ZIP file with all the avatars from the old board? I know you said you managed to keep those.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 05:15:26 pm »
Oh my god, Revned is our savior! This is cool beyond words!

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »
Well, after removing a few duplicates, there are 188 topics. I missed 4 of them when I was downloading them from Google, I hope they weren't too important. I'll try to figure out which ones they were later. I made a nice little alphabetized list for easy navigation. Once I get the avatars from Jon, you won't be able to tell the difference between the old forum and these copies.

Offline Inty

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 02:09:13 am »
WIN.

---

Your browser doesn't support object.
<b>I need £5 paypal to pay subs ._.</b>

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:21 am »
I can get you the avatars, but while I do miss the old topics, I'm kinda hesitant as they don't mean as much to me if they can't be added on to like active topics.

I'd ask Inty to try his conversion again (after backing up the forums, of course) but I'm sure it could be a nightmare without the proper users, or since you're probably saving them as HTMs or something.

If you just want them on the site somewhere somehow, I might consider it - once my host gets back to me about the space issue.  >_<

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 10:42:21 am »
They take up about 4 MB, and they're completely self contained. All you have to do is put the directory I send you somewhere on the site. Nothing more. There really isn't much of a chance of adding them back to the new forums, but they make for a nice read. It'll save a lot of time in recreating things too.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:43:32 am »
Personally, I'd be fine just being able to read the threads in question.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Inty

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 10:46:37 am »
They'll be just the htmls, it'd be impossible to `convert` them into this source. Unless i did it all manually which which take forever because of users, date, posts and everything...

---

&lt;b&gt;I need &pound;5 paypal to pay subs ._.&lt;/b&gt;

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 10:49:42 am »
Not impossible, but nigh so. I wrote a program to get all the topic names and the sections they were in, so I suppose, given lots of time and dedication, one could make an auto-database maker thingy. It's not worth it, though. A lot of the bigger topics are missing, namely the SMB3 project.

Offline Inty

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 10:54:19 am »
I doubt it's worth the effort to be fair <_<

---

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 11:25:22 am »
I didn't think so.

It's the big topics I mostly want recovered, and since they're the ones that are missing...  :(

I don't even have four megs free at the moment, I bet.  I really need my host to get back to me soon.  I have like a month's worth of backlogged maps, and that to me is the priority when I do get more space.  But since you spent so much time with this, Revned, I should be putting them up - but that's when I get a chance.

I guess I could change my procedure and try to do some offline updates, so everything will be up the first chance I get...  >_<

Offline Inty

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 11:51:45 am »
This host = the gayest host ever

*runs*

---

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 11:59:23 am »
Myrmid has actually cut me a lot of slack when it came to the times my bandwidth skyrocketed, so I wouldn't say that.

Maybe they had the whole week off for Easter like you did, Inty.  It would explain one week, anyway.  Not that I like it, but it's a possible reason.

And Inty, I'm not so sure you're in a position to be insulting anyone that may be holding back VGMaps.com.  >_>

Offline Inty

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:12:14 pm »
True. But still, they need to learn how to run a damn server. It's extremely outdated. And is half  the reason a few things on the forums still arn;t working.

---