Author Topic: Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind  (Read 11150 times)

Offline beltran63

Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:51:25 pm »
I have started to map out Bubsy for the SNES. The plan is to initially go through and map out all the chapters without the enemies then go through a second time to include all the little details (enemies/yarnballs/etc.). Any feedback would be great!
Thank you!

Current Work:

Area 1: Plains

Area 2: Carnival

Area 3: Train Above Desert

Area 4: Oregon

Area 5: Jungle Canopy

Area 6: Boss Ship

Future Work:

Update: 04/23/21: Bonus Rooms for Plains and Carnival, updated Carnival Chapter Four
Update: 04/26/21: Bonus Rooms for Desert, also starting to realize every 3rd bonus room is the same...
Update: 05/06/21: Bonus Rooms for Oregon, Jungle Canopy, and Boss Ship. A lot of repeat levels
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 03:21:58 pm by beltran63 »

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:59:36 pm »
You are pretty courageous to take on that game!

Are you using some kind of cheat codes to control the camera or reach out of bounds? It looks like you're not leaving any area unexplored Can't wait to see more!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline beltran63

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 02:21:26 pm »
Thanks! It's been a fun process so far.

I'm using midair jump cheat and then using GIMP to fill in the spots i can't see such as floors and deep underground textures. So far it's been enough, but lets see what happens in Carnival stages.

Offline beltran63

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 02:03:44 pm »
I've now added the first pass up to Area 4. I hope to have the last few areas down by the end of September and then start to map out the bonus rooms.

I do have a question. How does one handle dynamic maps? Such as a lever lowering or raising water. Do you make two versions of the map or add the changes in transparent form?
Thanks for any feedback.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 06:46:39 pm »
I do have a question. How does one handle dynamic maps? Such as a lever lowering or raising water. Do you make two versions of the map or add the changes in transparent form?

That's a very good question to which there is unfortunately no universal answer. I used to be sure how to handle such cases but the more maps I made, the less certain I became.

Nowadays, if at all possible, I would try to do two maps: 1) the initial state as you first encounter it and 2) the finished state where everything has been changed/destroyed/revealed. I would personally try to avoid or limit instructions depicting how the changes are caused but that's mostly because I prefer aesthetic maps. Your mileage will vary if you're trying to make a visual walkthrough.

If the map is really simple though like an area with a few hidden paths, I'd probably make a single map with the hidden paths visible because the initial map doesn't depict a different state, just an incomplete one.

I hope I'm not leaving you with more questions than you had before!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline beltran63

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:11:09 pm »
Thanks that helps a lot! I also prefer aesthetic maps so I think I will go that route and make two maps.

Offline beltran63

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 11:17:13 pm »
I finally had the time to start getting those bonus levels. I've been learning how to make cheat codes and it's making it much easier to map these levels. I might get all the bonus levels done in the next 2 weeks or so.