Author Topic: 2021/03: Lemmings (PC) - Revned  (Read 8279 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2021/03: Lemmings (PC) - Revned
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:47:20 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Revned's Lemmings (PC) maps.

March, march, march; that's what lemmings do, right off a cliff to their doom, supposedly.  But that's actually a myth.  However, that is the premise of one of the first really big personal computer game hits of the 1990s.  Lemmings walk forward, uncaring what dangers they may be treading into.  That's where the player comes in.  By assigning jobs to them, such as building ramps, digging or mining, you can make a safe path to the exit and try to save as many of the hapless rodents as possible.

Thanks to Revned's maps of all 120 levels, you can plan to survive this fun, tricky, and taxing mayhem.

Originally on Amiga, but then ported to the PC, and then over twenty other platforms, this is one of the most successful video games of all time, and so we finally recognize it here on VGMaps.com, on the year of its 30th anniversary.

So to recognize the effort put into keeping the Lemmings safe, Revned's Lemmings (PC) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for March 2021.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:28:09 am by JonLeung »

Offline Revned

Re: 2021/03: Lemmings (PC) - Revned
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 08:18:07 pm »
Thanks for the recognition!

I always felt bad about not doing more with these maps. I seem to recall putting them together in one sitting and never coming back to them. I could at least have included the real level names in the filenames if not as headers. Oh well, not really a big deal I suppose.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:50:03 pm »
Nice to see you, Revned.  I feel like you haven't been around much lately.

You could always do more with these maps if you really want to.  ;)  (Though I totally understand if you don't feel a need to.)

Having Maps Of The Month honour doesn't mean the maps can't be updated - it hasn't stopped you before, like when you fixed up all of your Mega Man maps.

Anyway, Lemmings was so huge back in the day.  But back then, PCs seemed to have more solo, strategy and brainy-type games, which worked better there than on consoles.  Though this was ported to several consoles too.  I wonder if people would be interested in a Lemmings revival if there was a new game released today.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 02:47:10 pm »
Many years ago I had the plan the combine the Lemmings maps with overlay spots where an ability has to be assigned as visual walkthrough. I only ever finished this approach for 3D Lemmings Winterland because it only had 6 levels (see Lemmings 3D Winterland - Visual Walkthrough.zip, start with l3dwint_index.htm).

For the complete Lemmings 1 I got sidetracked by the version differences, reading through multiple walkthroughs which had special solutions for many versions because of changed ability counts or slightly different level design. And then of course playing each of the many versions side by side, mapping them at an equal pace. I stopped at around level 10 of the Fun rating.

I really appreciate seeing the full map set for one version even without any extras like level names or ability figures.

Thanks, Revned. This game deserves the honor of Map Of The Month.