Author Topic: Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)  (Read 37543 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 03:18:41 pm »
Contra III: The Alien Wars came out on the Wii's Virtual Console two days ago, didn't it?  Though I guess this topic started on Christmas before we knew this was coming relatively soon.

(When Rick Bruns mapped out Mario Bros. and Solomon's Key the weekend the Wii came out (those two games were among the very first available VC games), I knew something was up.)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 12:15:02 pm »
The funny thing is that it's rated E+10 for "Fantasy Violence".

Stage 5 Done!

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7312/stage5nestinginthesandszh1.png

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 09:23:10 pm »
After nearly 10 months of not touching the project, I decided to finish it. Unsurprisingly, I found the solution to the problem that was bugging me in stage 6 in no time at all. :P Given the fact that I already had the images I needed, it didn't take much effort to finish.

https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6226/stage6nomanslandph8.png

I've also decided not to map the fourth stage, because I've concluded that regardless of would do for it, the image would have little relation to the stage being mapped. :P

In other words, unless anybody has any complaints, I'll be submitting this soon.

Note: Please direct any complaints concerning the naming scheme to here: http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?profile=set&selected=597

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 06:00:11 am »
Are you sure that Stage 4 is impossible?  It seems that if you ripped the background, you could just tile it and insert boss sprites where needed.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 10:07:20 am »
If I remember, the problem with Stage 4 is that everything keeps moving so it seems impossible to make a single continuous map. There's the road with the desert background, there's the battleship that flies over you, then there's the helicopter ride with that alien mini-boss, and then there are the missiles flying toward the battleship's engine. That makes too many large elements which keep moving in relation to one another.

The best you could hope to do is a series of mini-maps showing the various sections of the stage, such as the initial desert chase with the ship overhead, then a single screen with the helicopter mini-boss, and finally the boss fight with the missiles and all. I wouldn't feel like doing it myself in his place.

But good work for all that you've done. I'm quite happy with Stage 6; I've always loved it when Contra does things Giger-style.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 01:27:25 pm »
If I remember, the problem with Stage 4 is that everything keeps moving so it seems impossible to make a single continuous map. There's the road with the desert background, there's the battleship that flies over you, then there's the helicopter ride with that alien mini-boss, and then there are the missiles flying toward the battleship's engine. That makes too many large elements which keep moving in relation to one another.

The best you could hope to do is a series of mini-maps showing the various sections of the stage, such as the initial desert chase with the ship overhead, then a single screen with the helicopter mini-boss, and finally the boss fight with the missiles and all. I wouldn't feel like doing it myself in his place.(TerraEsperZ)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 03:41:49 pm »
Fine, I'll take a stab at it. It shouldn't be too hard...

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 03:44:02 pm »
Sure.  I was just looking at the forum name - sorry.  Fixed.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 10:18:55 pm »
I've mapped the ship, but I'm not sure how good it looks:

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4884/shipmp4.png

Obviously, you can tell that I just vertically flipped it. It does look kind of weird (upside-down monkey bars, anyone), so I'm considering cleaning up the top, but I want some opinions first.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 11:15:23 pm »
It looks surprisingly good, but I'd personally get rid of all that stuff on top like guns and bars, except maybe for the little antennas, which don't look that much out of place there.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 06:54:49 am »
Looking good.  I will admit that it looks a little awkward when it is mirrored like that.  I am sure that you will figure it out.

For some weird reason, I didn't realize that the boss of the level was actually the engine of the ship.  Now it makes more sense.

Good job.

Offline Zeric

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 09:57:02 am »
The ship looks good but there is a few errors.

The first one is the place where the enemies jumps out, you missed one of the holes. The others are pretty minor. I pointed them out on the image below.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4536/shipmp4ry1.png

Other than that I agree with the others.

---

Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800)
Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 04:27:57 pm »
I honestly can't believe I missed one of the holes. I guess that's what happens when you think something is so easy that it doesn't deserve attention.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 05:42:27 pm »
I addressed the errors and cleaned up the top. I also added in the swinging thingy right before (ie right of) the holes.

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/5051/shipcrf0.png

If there are no complaints, I'll be putting the actual stage together now.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 05:48:27 pm »
Looks great so far.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)