Author Topic: VGCartography - getting to work on PS1 maps!  (Read 20995 times)

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

Re: Electromax - getting to work on PS1 maps!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 04:50:53 pm »
Your work is blowing my mind. Holy cow these PS1 maps come out looking good.

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 01:20:16 pm »
Question about the Elw Dimension map... I've wondered for *years* if those two side islands were actually present on the map, and I'm curious as to whether what's shown in your map is all that's actually there, or if that's just all you were able to get without any sort of tools. If it's the latter, I guess some sort of "overworld walk through walls" code would be in order...

Still, nice to finally see "actual game graphics" maps for Filgaia. I'm genuinely surprised none existed until now. Good job! Heck, all of your PS1 maps are pretty dang amazing! Looking forward to seeing more of them in the future!

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2022, 01:54:20 pm »
Question about the Elw Dimension map... I've wondered for *years* if those two side islands were actually present on the map, and I'm curious as to whether what's shown in your map is all that's actually there, or if that's just all you were able to get without any sort of tools. If it's the latter, I guess some sort of "overworld walk through walls" code would be in order...

Still, nice to finally see "actual game graphics" maps for Filgaia. I'm genuinely surprised none existed until now. Good job! Heck, all of your PS1 maps are pretty dang amazing! Looking forward to seeing more of them in the future!

Thanks! It is indeed the latter - I couldn't find any code for walk through walls/enable plane or other tools on Elw map/etc. so I can't see those bits either! But you can open the map in-game with select and they are shown, I suspect they are there... I've never tried to hack out PS1 codes before, although I did a bit on NES/SNES back in the day. Would be a fun project, I would definitely like to improve the missing areas in the current one.

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 06:49:45 pm »
Made an animated runthrough of a bunch of the Castlevania maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCkC9RUTxY

Pretty niche audience for this kind of video but it's fun to make as a flip-book through the map basically. Started on Tomb Raider II today.

Offline VGCartography

Re: VGCartography - getting to work on PS1 maps!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 09:21:36 am »
Just submitted a complete* set of maps for Spyro 1. Gonna do 2 and 3 eventually, but taking a little break from placing gems and chests for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07jI0FeQhU
Made another video, this one about Tomb Raider 2. The game was complex enough that I didn't make labeled maps, although never say never - they are layered and difficult to clearly unravel in 2D, but the video was my attempt at a "living" version. Started on TR3 as a follow up as well.

Other stuff floating around is continuing isometric maps of Vagrant Story, Xenogears, and finishing MGS2. Not sure after that... maybe a little break.

*High Caves is missing due to data error :(

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 07:35:59 am »
Just submitted my first hand-drawn map, for Dark Souls 1. Got a wacom cintiq 16 tablet a few weeks ago and have been learning how to tool around on it, some rough edges (literally) but it was fun to work on. Hoping to do something similar with Elden Ring and Bloodborne.

Here is a video I made walking through the map as a game summary of sorts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHfArW9zEQ4

I've also been putting together some Crash Team Racing maps for a more relaxing evening, and working on Tomb Raider III and MGS2 as well. Haven't been very motivated lately though...

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2022, 06:35:01 pm »
I've always wanted to see a Xenogears world map. This is excellent.

It's probably for the best that you moved Shevat over to Sargasso Point. If you left it on top of Babel Tower it would have covered up the entire thing.

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2022, 09:28:32 am »
Some more things went up, for Vagrant Story (redid them in 3D) and Alone in the Dark, another drawn one.

I have a couple starter maps for Chrono Cross and Legend of Dragoon but not currently doing an organized effort to map them all yet.

(I post more regular updates in the discord channel now too)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2022, 09:39:58 pm »
I see your DeviantArt gallery for Chrono Cross.

For someone who said this game isn't your favourite, you sure have done some amazing stuff with this game already.  I love not only the maps but the bestiary and the various character reference things.  There sure are lots of characters compared to the tight-knit group of seven from Chrono Trigger.  I know I played this game once before and finished it but I barely remember any of it, unlike Chrono Trigger which is more firmly in my memory despite being longer ago.  If/when the Chrono Cross map set gets complete, I might consider a replay, probably the rerelease (and I rarely replay games these days - life is too short, why not have new experiences, and my backlog is full of them).

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 02:43:27 pm »
Haven't updated in too long, but in general..

- Submitted Metal Gear Solid and VR Missions.
- Submitted all 3 Tomb Raiders now
- Submitted Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
- Submitted Banjo Kazooie
- Submitted Super Mario 64
- Submitted Alone in the Dark
...probably others.

I am halfway (Disc 1+2) through both Final Fantasy 8 and 9, should finish them up relatively soon. Also plan on THPS2. Want to spend a little time poking at Gex 2 on PS1 also. Did about half of Mario Sunshine so far.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2023, 05:22:45 pm »
Awesome to see you working on the other two Final Fantasy games for the PSX! I would've eventually gotten to FF8 if no one else had decided to take it on, but it looks like I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. ;D

Definitely looking forward to seeing how your maps for both games turn out!