Author Topic: VGMaps.com's 20th Anniversary - PROMO VIDEO CHALLENGE!  (Read 19863 times)

Offline Raccoon Sam

Re: VGMaps.com's 20th Anniversary - PROMO VIDEO CHALLENGE!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 03:16:28 am »
Worked on it for an entire evening straight and despite the rush I got it done in time  ;D really happy how it turned out although I kinda wanna go back and fix some stuff.. but then again, if I do, I'll end up trying to do more and more and more ...
I had lots of fun nonetheless!

Offline mechaskrom

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 06:31:34 pm »
I don't have the video editing skills, but I'm looking forward to seeing what others can come up with.
Some tools and other stuff I've made:
https://github.com/mechaskrom

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2022, 05:02:15 am »
Here is my entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq6x8hrQws

I'm a novice video editor so it's nothing flashy but I had a good time looking for beautiful or interesting maps to use, hopefully it's at least a fun little commercial even if it isn't the best entry! Tried to represent a variety of consoles and creators. The song is one I made on the KORG, I was thinking of old-school racing games like RC Pro-Am when I made it so I made sure to include that game in the collage.

Looking forward to seeing the others!

Offline NESAtlas

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2022, 11:33:59 am »
That was really cool, VGC! You featured an amazing amount of maps!!

I'm afraid mine is a bit slower paced, but I'm still really excited to share it.
I have to admit my "vision" for the video changed so many times over the last month and there were a few times I almost gave up  :-[
It was really a challenge for me to see this project through until the end, but I'm glad I did since I learned so many new techniques in the process!

Today I'm cleaning up a few minor issues and will get it rendered and uploaded to YouTube tonight. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to post it since it takes so long for YT to encode in HD.

Offline NESAtlas

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2022, 05:01:53 pm »
Here's my entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHyMgzlGKBU

This was definitely a different style video than I'm used to making, but the whole process of learning new editing techniques was a really rewarding experience for me!

Also, I just noticed we had a username change that happened somewhat recently and unfortunately I had the old name in the video  :(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 05:35:51 pm by NESAtlas »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2022, 09:30:16 pm »
End-of-day is the deadline, though there are still a few hours left for today... perhaps someone has a surprise last-minute submission?

But, at the moment I have three entries, and even if that's all I have, then that will still be more than just all right.  I am amazed by each and every one of them.  Incredible work, guys!

This week, I will be in a challenging position as I rewatch them all, probably several times, to decide on a winner.  Hmmm...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 12:27:04 am »
And now here we are.  20 years since this began...

Congratulations to NESAtlas / Atlas Videos for winning the VGMaps.com 20th Anniversary Promo Video Challenge!

I've updated the first post of this topic with links to all three entries.  I have to say, you made it very difficult to choose a winner, as there were a couple things I that I really, really liked about each one!

All of you, check your PayPal, I have forwarded the winnings to your accounts.  Yes, I decided to give ALL three participants some money, not just NESAtlas, because I appreciate the hard work you put into your videos.  As a YouTuber myself, I know how much effort is required in these things.

It's past midnight, so though I can probably say more, I do have to get to bed.  Maybe I'll say more "tomorrow", perhaps.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 12:36:22 am »
That was very kind of you! Woke up to a happy surprise indeed.
Excellent job everyone 🥳 here's to 20 more years of vgmaps!

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2022, 08:00:20 am »
That's very generous, Jon! All the entries were really great, I watched them with a couple friends and we each liked a different one the best! I had already seen the excellent video from NESAtlas, but Sam your editing skills are crazy impressive too. Those Kirby transitions are super cool, would love to know a bit more about your process.

Here's to 20 more years!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2022, 09:44:09 am »
So, this "Promo Video Challenge" was indeed a challenge, not just for the participants, but for me to decide which one I liked best!  Here they are in the ORDER THAT THEY WERE RECEIVED:

VGCartography

VGCartography's video has a very direct approach.  This is VGMaps.com, we have maps.  That's what this video is, straight up.  There is a very nice number and variety of maps, and I like particular selections such as starting off with the Lost Woods from The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (which is how the site started), and the various Chrono Trigger maps ("but medieval", "but dinosaurs", etc....).  It encourages others to submit maps of any kind, and mentions the forums.  Very nice, and composing a track using KORG Gadget, that's impressive.  Does that music track have a name?

Verneri Kontto / Raccoon Sam

Raccoon Sam/Veneri Kontto's video is a very flashy one.  I definitely exclaimed something when I first saw the animated logo and title.  The compass starting circular and turning ovalish, the way the text appears, and the spinning of the compass needle, wow!  The music it's all synched to, ZigZag by Asi C, is extremely catchy, and the overall presentation is incredibly slick and professional.  I love the Kirby's Dream Land 2 part where it is shown how screenshot maps are generally made!  Created in just one evening - that's insane!

Atlas Videos / NESAtlas - WINNER

Atlas Videos/NESAtlas's video spent more time on particular map sets, which were very well-chosen.  There's a portable game (Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow), a computer game (Ultima VII), a console game with pseudo-3D (Solstice), and another console game with actual 3D (Metal Gear Solid).  The logo is animated here, seemingly flying through a bunch of game titles and Maps Of The Month icons.  I can't imagine that the game titles would have been quick or easy to select and assemble.  It's on the longer side, but doesn't feel long.

Because they each have a few standout things, and I would have been happy if I only got one entry and it was any one of them, I made my final decision way later than I expected to.  If you had asked me until then which I liked the best, it could have been any one of them, as I was changing my mind constantly, between all three!  I was always adjusting the weights of what I liked.  After finally deciding, I showed these to my friends, and some of them liked each one, and came up with the same good points as I did, without me saying my opinion first.  So it's good to know I was noticing the same good things.

Ultimately, I went with Atlas Videos/NESAtlas's, because I felt it was the best mix of showcasing maps and celebrating the legacy, with nice production values.  Though they all showed maps, I liked the panning and zooming across these great choices.  Explaining that we have many platforms and many types of maps was good.  The titles going by, that part is simply lovely.

I still have use for the others, like Raccoon Sam/Veneri Kontto's is just BAM! Wow! In your face with the maps!  I could share that if I feel like someone needs to know as quickly as possible what we've got and how they're made.  VGCartography's shows the most maps, so it's a great scope and at a nice length so I could use that as well.

Knowing how making videos isn't so easy (as a YouTuber myself), I felt I had to give them all something for their effort.  It wouldn't be fair or proper to split the prize (I had to reread the rules to make sure, and it said only ONE person gets $2000 (US)) so I decided to give the others what they WOULD have gotten if I had split it three ways.  But $2000/3 is $666.67, and, not to dwell on the numbers, but just in case anyone has a problem with a number associated with evil, I rounded it up to $675 (US).  I had budgeted for the option of giving out more, and it alleviates my conscience that everyone gets something, especially knowing that the competition was as close as it was.

For the time being, I will be linking to the videos on your own channels, as you deserve the views and comments.  They are also on my "JonLeung1" YouTube channel as of today.  Can't believe it's been twenty years.  I legit don't know if/when/why I would stop doing VGMaps.com, so here's to twenty more years, and possibly more!  Thanks to everyone who's contributed any of the over 37,000+ maps, as well as to everyone who enjoys looking at and using them.  That's what the Internet should be, informative and beautiful content.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:50:29 am by JonLeung »

Offline NESAtlas

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2022, 12:05:06 pm »
Thank you so much, Jon! You're so generous and I'm really humbled by this whole experience. I am so happy to hear VGC & Raccoon Sam both received something too!!! I was really impressed (and inspired!) with their entries and it was awesome to see different approaches to celebrating the 20th anniversary.

Retro gaming in particular has become a life long passion for me and to share this hobby with so many nice people around the world has been such a blessing. The massive amount of content contributed by everyone over the last 20 years is so amazing and I really look forward to seeing how the Video Game Atlas evolves even further into the future!