Author Topic: Red Dwarf Anyone?  (Read 13151 times)

Offline Eggz

Red Dwarf Anyone?
« on: April 25, 2006, 08:59:50 pm »
I figured since the DVD release for Season VIII, the final season, is in a few weeks, I'd see if there were anymore Dwarfers or Starbuggers hiding around here.

Red Dwarf is one of those classic sci-fi comedy shows; along the same lines as Doctor Who (CBC airing of the new season in mid June), but it leans more towards the comedy. With a basic cast of four characters, and mostly mimited budgets, what they managed to pull off is astounding, and the writing was gold.

I think it's been some 15 years since the end of the series, and still no progress on the movies as of yet. The cast is getting older, and soon they qwon't be able to make it, even of they get the funding.

---

Q: What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is dangerous?

A: A sparrow with a machine gun.

- The Riddler; Batman the Movie
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Red Dwarf Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:02:45 pm »
I regret never having seen much of it, aside from a few episodes on PBS back when it was included in the basic cable package. I've always enjoyed witty  british comedies, what little of it I've seen anyway.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:07:11 pm »
PBS is a cable channel up yonder? It has always been on regular TV here. Always.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:41:08 pm »
Seeing how PBS is the Public Broadcast Station, its a sham to have to pay for it. Though if you get it from a city thats too far to receive airwave signals from, then I guess you'd have to pay for it be piped in.

I've never seen the series. I don't remember it ever being on PBS around here. Doctor Who on the other hand, I love Tom Baker. And the old man who was the first Doctor. I tried getting into the new Doctor Who series but I just can't find the groove.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:41:45 pm »
I live in Quebec, and without cable or a dish, we don't get shit, no matter how good your antenna is. We're lucky if we can get 2 or 3 of the main french channels, so what would be the odds of an American public station broadcasting with enough power to reach us all the way up here?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Eggz

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 04:37:16 pm »
I do have a dish, but PBS doesn't come in the basic packages, and most of the other packages are totally useless to us, despite how much I want G4 Tech TV.

I've actually seen averything from season 1 to season 7 by borrowing the DVDs from a coworker. Seasons 2, 3, and 4 I find were the best by far; writing was starting to pick up, with Grant and Naylor being in their prime, and the show's budget was picking up too. Nothing will beat the original model shots in my mind. :)

---

Q: What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is dangerous?

A: A sparrow with a machine gun.

- The Riddler; Batman the Movie
This looks like a job for Science!