Author Topic: RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)  (Read 93791 times)

Offline marioman

RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2009, 07:00:06 pm »
I recently found this program, and I think that it may help you with these maps.  It can completely assemble Sonic CD level maps and place rings/monitors/etc. in their proper places.  In addition, it can dump entire background layers.

Sonic Extractor

Hope that this helps.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2009, 12:25:53 am »
I always feel bad when something like that comes out. I'm used to capturing and assembling maps by hand, so using someone else's utility feels like cheating.

There's also the fact that with such a program out, it's only a matter of weeks before someone makes perfect maps for the entire game with little effort that will make all my previous efforts go to waste.

I actually found out about this program several months back, but it didn't handle the backgrounds at the time. I also noticed back then that although it places the sprites in their correct position, the priority was messed up compared to the maps I did while playing (some sprites appeared over the foreground while in-game, they were behind for example).

A small part of me, of the childish and whiny kind, is actually really frustrated that so many competent people have been working on Sonic maps lately after ignoring the series for so freaking long that I actually thought I'd never have any competition in putting out maps. I mean, for years it felt like nobody would ever bother, so I'd have all the time in the world to do my thing, even considering how I take up and drop map projects on a whim. Of course, saying that out loud would make me look like a selfish baby right :)?

So I guess this is yet another project I'll have to shelve. There's no way I'll use someone else's work to easily make maps that I'd then claim to be my own, and it's doubtful that I'd spend more time doing it by hand only to see full maps being submitted by someone else the moment I make any significant progress.

That's life I guess...

"Life? Don't talk to me about life."

---

Current project: Not sure yet

Upcoming project: Not sure yet either
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2009, 12:36:19 am »
That sucks. Given that the Sonic games have more hacking going on than any other non-Nintendo game I know of, it's only a matter of time (there's a map viewer for most of the 8-bit games too), but I find the editors always stop some way before perfection. "Fixing" a dumped map is almost as much work as doing it yourself, because you have to check every part of the map for priorities, effects, etc.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2009, 04:32:57 am »
I was under the impression there was already a map editor that could extract Sonic CD levels.  Also when people make editor maps they usually end up resizing them or saving them as a JPEG.  It really shouldn't be a reason to stop doing your maps.

Offline marioman

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2009, 12:09:21 pm »
Terra, I didn't mean to cancel your mapping project for you.  I had remembered that you were having trouble with ripping backgrounds and placing rings, so I figured it would be a help.

In other news, Zone:0 has apparently uploaded DarkWolf's Sonic CD maps.  They did credit VGMaps, but I am not sure what the rule is around here about merely taking maps from here and uploading them somewhere else.  

I figured that I would just give a heads up on this.  Zone:0 is a good site with a lot of (annotated) maps for Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD, so maybe it would be a good idea to let them link to our maps if we can link to theirs?