Author Topic: RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)  (Read 93789 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 04:02:14 pm »
Can I say that you might have your "fingers in too many pies"?

Is that the expression I'm looking for?

I'd like to see what you can accomplish if you had a solar-powered laptop (with nothing but all that you need to map, and that never breaks down) while stranded on a desert island, alone for years but with a supply of food that would last you long enough until you got rescued.  Back in civilization a few years later, assuming VGMaps.com is still around, what wondrous complete map sets would be uploaded from your very laptop?  Or would you still start too many things and have more incomplete projects than complete ones?  :P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 04:46:25 pm »
Sorry. I've always been like this whenever it comes to creative works. If I had nothing else to do? Maybe I'd finish more stuff, since I often lose interest because it's taking too long to advance on a particular set of maps because of work/family/etc.

You'll notice that I prefer not to announce that I'll fully map games anymore because I know how tiresome it can be that I never deliver :(

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 07:13:56 pm »
You do good work, Terra, so I'm not particularly upset or annoyed that you don't finish things, but let's just say I will be much more happier with your work if things were actually completed.  :P

I have no right to complain anyway, I keep putting things off myself.  Revned's always bugging me to map things too, since I haven't done a real map in so long.  Other than some involvement in the projects so far, I can't remember mapping anything all on my own after Maniac Mansion, which was what, two years ago?  o_0

And I hope no one is actually clamoring for Simon The Sorceror or Totally Rad, both of which I guess I've technically given up on...so I know what you mean about disinterest.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 10:17:56 pm »
As promised, a new map :)

*First post updated with Sonic The Hedgehog - Green Hill Zone, Act 1*

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 10:28:45 am »
Seeing as I'm not working today because I'm sick (I got one of those mega-cold that kept me up sneezing all night), I've been working on testing the feasibility of Sonic CD maps and looks like I'll be able to start on one today!

Unlike Sonic 1, you can have both Debug Mode and Stage Select at the same time (which is essential) but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to make a savestate with both codes activated since savestates for Sega CD are only partly implemented. But Gens had no problem saving on that simple Stages Select screen so Sonic CD, here I come :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 05:49:51 pm »
Start Green Hill with debug -> soft reset -> level select code -> hold down A when selecting level.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 07:53:57 pm »
Nice DarkWolf, I had no idea a soft reset would keep the code in effect :)

And about Labyrinth Zone Act 3, I can't remember what's different about it, except that the water level rises quickly near the end.

*checks a map online*

Oh right, it wraps around vertically. I'm undecided about that. The first half I'll probably keep as is, since you can just keep sliding endlessly if you want to. However I might do something different for the last part where you run after Robotnik. Keeping that part continuous might look better even if it makes the map taller. I guess I'll see when I'm there.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 11:54:59 pm »
Rejoice! A brand new Sonic CD map, the first of its kind!

*First post updated with Sonic CD - Palmtree Panic Zone, Act 1 (Present)*

Now, I know you're all going to say that the background looks weird, being repeated upside down and then upright again, but that's the way it appears in the game, for Act 1 at least. It's supposed to give the illusion to the player that he's going through one of those big loop he always go through from Sonic's point of view, while in reality he's just running up a big ramp. But, I needed something to fill all that empty space, and  it's doesn't look that bad anyway. At worst, you can just assume it's part of what makes the Little Planet unique ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 06:55:32 am »
Good Job Terra!  Please keep it up!  There is a definite lack of maps like these.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »
TerraEsperZ Said:
Nice DarkWolf, I had no idea a soft reset would keep the code in effect :)

Not sure if it's related, but I wonder if it's something about the Genesis.  In the early days of GamePro magazine (I'm talking early '90s) there were several "codes" for the Genesis (but not for NES or Super NES) that involved inserting a certain game, then ripping it out (power still on) and inserting another game and resetting.  I distinctly remember a game that involved Batman for the Genesis...either yanking that out, or putting that in, I don't remember, but the result was infinite lives.  o_0  I wonder if that is in GameFAQs anywhere...it's kinda specific and involves another game...

I guess the NES would be tricky to do something like that even if it could work, and the early Super NES games had that lock-slot thing on the front of the cartridge that made that physically difficult.  It probably isn't a very nice thing to do with the hardware and you know how Nintendo is.  Won't give us more of an opportunity to break things.  :P

That has very little to do with this topic, sorry.  :P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 10:54:16 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Palmtree Panic Zone, Act 1 (Past)*

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 06:36:29 am »
It's always hard to extend backgrounds and make them look good, but it's certainly better those solid white backgrounds that some of the maps in the Genesis section have.

Also I remember the cart swap tricks, but I never attempted them.  It's probably safe but most of those codes can be replicated with Game Genie.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 07:46:53 am »
I'm using a Sega CD ISO (with very badly-ripped audio tracks since they're all offset by 5 seconds) since even though I own the PC DirectX version, I can't turn off the layers in it. The animated movies are bigger and more colorful in it though :)

As for the backgrounds, I'm trying to achieve a happy middle since the limited color palette of the Genesis often ends up with both foreground and background having "loud" colors that can make separating the two difficult at first glance so I'm not hell-bent on filling the background with patterns at all cost unlike with other games I've mapped.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 03:42:29 pm »
Turns out my ISO is so fucked up that only the two stages played so far work completely, so I'm hunting down a working one to continue.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 03:22:42 pm »
I put up the Sonic The Hedgehog maps by Maxim today.  They're of the Master System version, so that shouldn't be treading on your toes, right?