Author Topic: RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)  (Read 93787 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2007, 10:08:27 pm »
It would be neat if you could do them all, though you'd have to come up with a way to include the "horizon" background in some way as they look really cool. Especially the Robotnik one :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2007, 05:53:52 am »
Yes, please do make Special Stage maps if possible.  As I said in one of my other posts, they are some of my favorite bonus levels in ANY Sonic game.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2007, 06:39:19 am »
I haven't found the horizon images in the files, but then again I haven't looked very hard either.  Also, I'm not sure where I'd put them considering the end result will be a "flat" map, as if you were looking down from the zenith of the sky.

The hardest thing so far is matching the palette, since it seems to be somewhere in the executable rather than in the graphics file.  Fortunately the floor tiles for the levels only use 16 color graphics, so it's easy enough to match them manually.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2007, 09:58:32 am »
I think all the current Sega CD emulators "support" savestates in the sense that "it *might* work if you're lucky but don't get your hopes up". From what I've heard, it has to do with all the extra functions and memory the Sega CD adds to the Genesis that aren't fully deciphered yet.

Personally, with Sonic CD I've had the most problems with the CD tracks; saving while a track is playing or loading a game while a track is already playing usually freezes emulation and I have to reset the system. That's why I've only saved at the stage select screen because there's no music there. Also, the Special Stages use a special "Mode 7" graphics mode exclusive to the Sega CD so saving/loading there is likely to fail.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2007, 07:34:24 pm »
Half-size for now:

Special  Stage 1

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2007, 08:15:17 pm »
As usual, woah! Did you extract the map layout in some way, or did you assemble this by hand from playing it?

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 08:37:55 pm »
I found a way to assemble it.  I need to redo this image, I just played the stage and realized the map needs to be flipped horizontally.

Offline marioman

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2007, 05:22:46 am »
Yes!  That is GREAT!  I am very happy to see this become a reality.

I haven't found the horizon images in the files, but then again I haven't looked very hard either.

I found a site that has most of the backgrounds for the Bonus Stages:

http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/Sprite_Archives/Sonic_Backgrounds.htm

The site layout absolutely stinks, but if you scroll down to the Sonic CD section, the Bonus Level backgrounds are the last little box in the section.  The above set is missing the Robotnik background.  It can be found here:

http://dioxaz.free.fr/sonicbackgrounds.htm#decors_soniccd

I hope that this is a help.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2007, 09:04:07 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Palmtree Panic Zone, Act 3 (Bad Future)*

Been a little while since I've worked on this, but   Easter vacation and work has been keeping me busy. I'm eager to start mapping Collision Chaos, as I'm really tired of "Green Hill"-style zones ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2007, 07:53:09 pm »
Those rooms are strange.  I wonder if there is a way to debug into them.  It would be interesting to see what the Super Sonic monitor would do because Super Sonic is not even in the game.

I am really liking these maps.  Keep it up!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2007, 08:35:14 pm »
I haven't tried them myself, but the "S" Monitor is supposed to give you both Speed Shoes and Invincibility but can only be reached with Debug and isn't present anywhere in the game (or at least, anywhere accessible). The Clock Monitor was supposed to freeze time but doesn't work at all. Another proof of that room's beta state is that while inside, Sonic walks on top of the pipes instead of them being only decoration like everywhere else.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 03:02:12 pm »
At least you can't see this room during regular gameplay.  That would be quite a tease.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2007, 10:24:29 pm »
I spend several hours putting together the following images of the Little Planet where the game takes place. They were only viewable in a special menu called D.A. Garden where you can hear the music of the game. While there, you can see the planet rotating and you can zoom in/out and control the rotation and its appearance changes to match the song mix you are listening to.

The trick is that since I have no hacking skills whatsoever, I could not get clean images of the planet so I rotated it as close to 'no rotation' as possible and took screenshots while zoomed in, assembled them and then spent hours reducing them by hand to recover the original images (yeah, it was a bit obsessive but it was worth it). I've always wanted to see them since knowing they existed ;)

So, in order, here is the Little Planet in the Present, Good Future and Bad Future:

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 11:29:11 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Collision Chaos Zone, Act 1 (Present)*

Yes, the background loops in this one too (you can see water and mountains at the top of the map) but it appears to be intentional this time as there is nothing in this level that would require the illusion of turning upside down, unless it's supposed to suggest that at some points you are so high that you no longer know which side is up.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2007, 05:59:19 am »
I've got the second special stage done.  I have tomorrow off so I'm going to try and finish off the two mapping projects I have hanging open.