Author Topic: You know that Link's Awakening Advance map?  (Read 24628 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
You know that Link's Awakening Advance map?
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:13:39 pm »
The April Fool's Day 2005 map was a supposed remake of Link's Awakening, as I'm sure we all know.  I had taken osrevad's map and replaced the tiles with tiles from A Link To The Past to create the joke map.

I think many people would say that out of all the joke maps, it's their favorite one.  UncleBob (who I know from the NintendoWorldReport forums) loved it enough to frame it!

User posted image

The funny thing is, upon seeing a co-worker's custom montage of photos that she had printed and framed as a gift to her mother about two weeks ago, I had been thinking about getting the Light World from A Link To The Past printed and framed.  This gives me a hint of how cool it might look.

Thanks for sharing, UncleBob!

Offline RT 55J

RE: You know that Link's Awakening Advance map?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 01:17:02 pm »
This reminds me of the time when I used the map as my (computer) wallpaper. The map's size is exactly twice my moniter's resolution.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 09:02:32 pm »
I've been interested in having one of my maps professionally printed and framed.  I haven't done much research into having it done though.  I was thinking one of the Desert Strike maps would look cool.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:52:26 am »
I just checked the proofs today at the printing shop this morning before work.  The Light World from A Link To The Past looks really good.  So I'll have it done today or tomorrow and will have to stop by IKEA on the weekend to pick up a frame and then I'll show you guys soon after.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 04:31:02 pm »
Bleeping heck!  They made the image too big (58 cm x 58 cm), and I didn't notice until I bought the frame!

I'm going to have to give them crap.  I know I specifically stated 50 x 50 and said I was going to frame it, and that's the largest-sized standard square frame so it's not like I can buy a different frame.  I'll have to bug them for a refund or exchange or something.  I dunno.  Otherwise I'm stuck with a too-big Light World poster...I suppose someone here might want it.  Not like the printing shop would want to take it back.

Offline marioman

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 05:51:28 pm »
You paid for it, they should deliver what you asked.  Do you have the proper dimensions in writing on the receipt or something?  Good luck on getting it fixed.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 07:12:40 pm »
Get a bigger frame.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 08:12:45 pm »
Quote JonLeung:

I know I specifically stated 50 x 50 and said I was going to frame it, and that's the largest-sized standard square frame so it's not like I can buy a different frame.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 09:18:20 pm »
Ummm, it's called custom framing.  Of course, it's expensive, but it is an option.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 10:28:38 pm »
I spent enough on this print, I'd rather have it the size I should've had in the first place.

Offline Rew

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 08:48:27 pm »
Dude, that's friggin' awesome!! Is there a way to find that map online (or on this website) at all? I'd love to look at the full version of it, instead of a glared photograph in a frame--even if it isn't "real."
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline marioman

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 05:23:22 am »
Yes.  It is available it Ian Albert's website.  Just so you know, the picture of the map in the first post is not Jon's.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 01:06:03 pm »
For clarification:

The map in the original photo was created by me back in 2004/2005 for the April Fool's joke in 2005. The Map Of The Month in April was "Link's Awakening Advance", which I made by taking tiles from The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (Super NES) and pasting them on top of osrevad's map for The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC).

However, the printed/framed image and the photo of said image are UncleBob's, someone I know from the Nintendo World Report forums.

On VGMaps.com I also have the Light World of The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, made by me as the first map for the site. However, Ian Albert also has a map of the Light World which he has made (note the inclusion of enemies and items on his map, and colours with slightly different RGB values).

Oh, and it sounds like I may be able to exchange my oversized print for the proper-sized one after all. Phew.

If I'm satisfied, I may get the Dark World printed (even though I didn't make that one) and get the same style frame, but black instead of white. I should put them on opposite sides of the same room, that'd look neat.

Offline marioman

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 04:29:15 pm »
Sorry.  I forgot about the LTTP maps on the site.

Congratulations on being able to get the map exchanged for one with the right dimensions.  Like I said before, you paid the money and they should give you what you ordered.  Good luck on your Dark World map printing.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:42:47 pm »
Has anyone considered making an actual Game Boy Advance game based on that map?